PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Pigeon vs Pigeon Blood

ctvu
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 02:13 AM
Hi all

I am wondering what is the difference between Pearl Pigeon and Pigeon Blood?
Thanks a lot in advance. The pic would be much appreciated.

ctvu

kevkoi
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 04:35 AM
It should be "pearl pigeon blood". "Pearl is just describing a pattern.

Pigeon blood discus have a propensity to speckle. They do not have visible stress bars on the body (or rather should not have... poor quality pigeons do then to show faint barring), orange based and it's a mutation discovered in Thailand.

Pigeons come in all sorts of patterns... mozaic, pearl, striated, white, solid orange (malboro). The Red Melons are a development from the pigeon blood strain.

ctvu
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 05:03 AM
Thanks a lot Kev for that. I thought "Pearl" meaning that more white colour base than Pure Pigeon Blood.

Once again thanks

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 05:11 AM
Ahhhh words of wisdom from the Guru himself. Thanks Kev. 8-)

flukes
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 07:55 AM
One of my first discus was a Pearl pigeon and it was from Kev, was a beauty!!

scrach
Tue May 03, 2005, 02:39 AM
The world first saw it's first Pigeon Blood in 1991 at Aquarama by Kitti Phanaitthi from Thailand. There are many strains that carry the Pigeon strain. I would estimate 1/3 of all discus in the world would have some Pigeon Blood genes in them i.e Marlboro Reds, Sunrise, Golden 21, Melons etc. The new strain of Pigeon Blood is very clear and some without any specks. The new pigeons would be Golden 21, First of Universe and many more. The diffrents between names are of course from the breeders or based on the fishe's colour and patterns or spots.

Cheers!

Christopher

Mattzilla
Tue May 03, 2005, 03:02 AM
very well explained kev and chris!

ctvu
Tue May 03, 2005, 03:48 AM
Once again Thanks Kev and Chris for excellent explaination.
Indeed they - any kind of pigeon - look awesome though

ctvu

flukes
Wed May 04, 2005, 09:23 AM
Chris, you got a pic of a golden 21?? Never heard of it before.. I saw a picture of a first of the universe about 6 months ago.. It was quite similar too jack wattley's red panda from what i could see.