PDA

View Full Version : Black eyes.

chrissyoscar
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 10:56 PM
I was wondering does black eyes on discus always mean poor health or poor conditions.
The reason I'm asking is some of my discus have black eyes. In fact both my red turq's have always had black eyes.
I've read on this forum and others that when choosing discus from a store one of the things to look for is red eyes as black eye's means they are unhealthy :cry: .

Thanks.. Oscar

flukes
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 08:39 AM
Do you mean the whole eye?? The pupil should be black..

Are the spawning?? Normally there are alot of changes in color when spawning..

Some pics would help...

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 28, 2005, 10:57 AM
There are so many colour morphs now, that a lot of eye colours are acceptable.
It used to be recommended to look for fish with deep red eyes, but now, with albinos and golden discus, a lot of different eye colours are common.

If your fish look healthy, eat well and act normally, there is nothing to worry about.

chrissyoscar
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks Scott and Merrilyn

They seem healthy enough so it's good to know everything is fine with them.
You here so much about eye color being so important, I just wanted to double check.

Oscar

Trebs
Fri Apr 29, 2005, 07:34 AM
Dark and dull eyes can be an indicator of internal parasites. Obviously eye colour varies from fish to fish but the eye should be clear and bright.

chrissyoscar
Sat Apr 30, 2005, 01:21 AM
Hi Trebs

She did have tapeworms about 1 year ago. I gave her a dose of AquaMaster fluke and tapeworm tablets and that got rid of the worms.

Oscar

goldenpigeon
Sat Apr 30, 2005, 03:25 AM
i recon with all the colour morphs this is the best way to tell if they are healthy. nice colour, relatively unstressed, eyes may be dark but not cloudy looking or dull. also clear water and clean tanks usually means they will be disease free but not always

chris
Sat Apr 30, 2005, 12:10 PM
Hi Chris I to have discus with dark eyes most of the time, he eats very well holds himself very nicely, but the eyes they are too dark at times.
Ive treated for worms, no worms.
I have seen runts in my local LFS they have dark eyes and a narrow forehead. Mine dosent look like a runt.
He also has darker than normal pelvic fins, dark poo, his eyes turn red when he gets excited. And he looks spectacualar
I have no Idea I will post some pictures soon so we can compare, can you aswell.

chrissyoscar
Sat Apr 30, 2005, 12:52 PM
Hi Chris

I have a few photos of my Red Turq's in the Photo Gallery section. Just click the link
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=2&sort_method=pic_time&sort_order=DESC&start=36

Thanks.. Oscar