PDA

View Full Version : Is algae poisonous

Bad Inferno
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 09:44 AM
Although I change 30% water every 2 days I have a bit of brown and green algae growing in my BB tank. Green algae is in my in-tank overflow. This tank is not in general view so I don’t really care about aesthetics and how it looks. Although do care about my fish....

Is algae harmful to discus.

cheers rob

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 09:54 AM
The normal brown or green algae is fine, and harmless to fish.

Bad Inferno
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks ladyred.... I know I should improve my tank houskeeping however knowing its not harmful I do feel alot better.

DR.V
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:46 AM
maybe because your tank got direct hit by sunlight ?

Bad Inferno
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 12:00 PM
Yeh this tank is in my garage which has a door in front and open at the back. Hence alot of light does get into the garage, however no direct sunlight onto the tank....I have a corner partition within the tank that is the overflow.....Next time the tank is empty I might look at sticking some black contact on the internal piece of glass that partitions off the overflow area. Its a real pain trying the clean the overflow section as its only about 4" square within the rear corner. I looked at mentone aquarium and they use what looks like blue contact paper to hide their overflows on their marine tanks and the contact is underwater.

DR.V
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 12:26 PM
I also have an overflow and i use scruber with a stick on it. It makes cleaning easier so you dont have to put your hand inside the box. Should buy one of this thing

Bad Inferno
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 12:32 PM
Yeh I got one however my tank is in a rack so I have limited room ontop of the tank .......

DR.V
Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:56 PM
hehehe too bad