PDA

View Full Version : What is this worm ?

weird
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 02:33 AM
Friend found this worm in his tank, anyone know what this is ?

mistakes r crucial
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 02:35 AM
Looks like an old commonal garden earth worm to me.
MAC

weird
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 02:42 AM
These guys can live under water ? Well I'll be ...

mistakes r crucial
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 03:01 AM
Again, it looks like an earth worm, and they can stay alive under water, for a while.

DR.V
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 04:15 PM
this worm look like earth worm that u can find in the garden. Maybe ur friend was feeding this worm to the fish , and unfortunately not eaten ???

Bronx19
Mon Apr 25, 2005, 04:59 AM
Earth worms cant live in water for more than maybe half an hour.

They need to breath, just like us.

How long was it in there?

weird
Mon Apr 25, 2005, 06:25 AM
As far as I know for a couple of weeks ...

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 25, 2005, 06:49 AM
How big was it. Hard to tell from the photo. Looks to be the wrong shape to be a bloodworm.

Sure does look like an earthworm to me.

nem7902
Mon Apr 25, 2005, 06:50 AM
by the look and the sounds ofit thats not no earth worm

weird
Mon Apr 25, 2005, 07:12 AM
Just measuring a similar cleaner, looks like it is about 7 cms.

I didn't at first believe it that he had a 'big worm' living in his tank. I was there friday night but it must have been under the gravel.

He sent me the photo yesterday. Worm experts !?!

He doesn't feed his fish worms, he thought he may have been living in the driftwood that he bought.

Littlefish
Mon Apr 25, 2005, 08:13 AM
Puts me in mind of those 'red wriggler' compost worms that are sold with 'worm farms'.

Some of the native worms curl up in crevices under bits of wood or whatever to aestivate (sleep out the drought). Maybe they can survive the flood as well? Could support the driftwood theory. Athough if he bought it...

Funny that worms drown themselves in puddles after rain, yet I put some compost worms in a turtle tank and they were still wriggling around the next day. Don't know why the turtles didn't eat them. Maybe they were a bit pongy from the compost.

Anyway, I eventually took pity on the worms and put them back in the compost.

The submersible pump in my fishpond is encased in an insect screen bag, and I often find earthworms crawling about on the mesh when I lift it out for cleaning.

So, yeah, earthworms can live underwater for a long time in some cases.
Don't know why they drown in shallow puddles. Different species? Why don't they just crawl out?

Fred :?