PDA

View Full Version : Stocking tank with Red Turquoise discus - Questions ....

richardbrook01
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 07:59 PM
Hi,

I have a 4'x1.5'x2' tank which I have just emptied due to building work.
The tank did contain 2 Golden Oscars and a Plec, which have now gone to a GOOD new home

I am interested in stocking the tank when it’s up and running again and cycled etc with Red Turquoise discus

I have read a bit on various web sites and would like some answers to a few question:

What kind of lighting is best for the above and what is the best type substrate?

If there is anything else that anyone thinks I should know being new to discus myself, it would be very much welcome

Thank you.

sunshinediscus
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 08:26 PM
What kind of lighting is best for the above?

I'd use grolux or similar, something with a soft effect.

what is the best type substrate?

For red turks i prefer dark tinted bare glass bottom. Also a dark color gravel is ok if you keep it clean enough. In a dark bottomed tank the turquoise colors are especially highlighted. If you go with light colors the turquoise colors will appear more pastel and the red coloring will be more highlighted.

If there is anything else that anyone thinks I should know being new to discus myself?

good water, good food and healthy discus are the keys for a great tank. Keep reading.

Rod

kalebjarrod
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 09:30 PM
welcome to the forum

i can't knock any of rods comments

richardbrook01
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 10:08 PM
Thanks for your reply's

I was thinking of adding about 10 neon's with 6 Discus in the above tank.... how this sound

also

I have seen the breeding cones on various sites

Question: what do the fish use in the wild, I don’t suppose they use breeding cones :D

Merrilyn
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 06:43 AM
Good question Richard, and welcome to the forum.

You're quite right, discus don't have those nice convenient spawning cones in the wild, but they do have submerged branches of various thicknesses.

If you watch a pair spawning, you will see them use their plevic fins (the two long slender fins at the front of the body) to gauge the width of the branch (or cone) and lay their eggs in neat little rows.

Neons don't do quite as well in the very high temperatures required for discus. Cardinal tetras make better tank mates.

Beware of putting very small cardinals in with large discus. They will simply look on them as food. If they all grow up together, it works out much better.

chris
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 06:43 AM
Six is nice number like everyone tells you around here plenty of water changes :!:

richardbrook01
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 07:08 AM
Cardinal tetras it is then.. Thank you.

Being an Oscar owner for a few years water quality is nothing new to me although the prameters are a bit different for Discus

In about a week I will be filling my tank and start setting it up... hopefully in about 5-6 weeks will get my Discus

As my tank is empty right now I am open to any suggestions, advice ect

Thanks

Merrilyn
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 07:18 AM
Main thing to remember is, discus like soft, slightly acid water. You can go with a bare bottom tank to begin with, which will be easier to maintain, or go planted with a substrate.

There are lots of ways of doing things with discus tanks. Have a look at some of the member's photos in the Photo Album section, and you will see a wide range of decorating ideas.

A lot of plants won't tolerate high temperatures, so be sure to pick the ones which do well in warmer water.

chris
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 07:19 AM
Its all exciting now Richard.
If i could start over again I would have choosen smaller fish.
Maybe 3'', also Its important to choose types,
Your looking at 6 so maybe all one colour or three of two colours.
Good chance of getting a pair.
Remeber Discus can live a long time so pick somegood ones.
Good luck

richardbrook01
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 08:03 AM
What kind of plants do well at this high temp. I believe Amazon Swords do well …. Anything else?

I plan to get 2-3" fish to start with from 2 different sources

chris
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 09:04 AM
Good Idea Richard Its good to get fish from different sources.
Amazon Swords are fine, there the only ones I can recommend cause there the only what Ive got.
I forgot youve already choosen red Turqs
Heres some of mine.(red turqs)
You get attached to them if you by them small, I did with these guys,
they have tripled in size.

richardbrook01
Sun Apr 24, 2005, 08:00 PM
Nice fish Chris.....

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my questions :D
I am sure I will be back with more in the near future, and some pictures as and when my tank progresses for anyone who is interested.

See you again soon..........

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 25, 2005, 04:32 AM
Keep in touch Richard. We'd love to see your finished tank.

flukes
Mon Apr 25, 2005, 09:33 AM
Great looking turqs...