PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Tank Opinions

spencer
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:24 AM
Hi all,
Im about to set a quarantine tank & would like opinions on equipment, filtration and medications, What type of filtration to use, and should you automatically dose new fish with any medications? What type of medications should I always have on hand
What other Equipment should I need :?:
It is a 3x18"x18" & will have a 9w UV Sterilizer
Any opinions most welcome

Max

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:49 AM
Your quarantine tank can be a fairly simple set up. A cycled sponge filter will be sufficient for one or two fish. Add a couple of plastic plants for them to hide behind and do daily waterchanges.

Keep an eye on them to see if there are any signs of worms or gill flukes, and feed them well.

I used to say not to medicate while in quarantine, but we have had such a bad strain of gill flukes lately, I'm beginning to think it might be a good idea to treat for gill fluke and tapeworm prior to putting them into the main tank.

Ben
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:57 AM
Hi Spencer,
One important thing to remember is to keep your Quarantine Tank/s away from other tanks.
Use a seperate tube for water changes. (nets etc)
As you dont want the water from your Quarantine tank to come into contact with any other tanks as this can easily spread diseases or parasites.

HTH,
Ben

spencer
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks Merrilyn,
Any suggestions as to what brand medication to use for gill fluke and tapeworms. Is there a general do mostly everything type?
I was thinking of using a sponge filter,the type I was lokking at also had carbon inserts,would that remove medications?

Thanks Ben, I think I will put it in my garage

Thanks for the help

Max

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 12:05 PM
I've used Aqua Master gill fluke and tapeworm tablets with success in the past. They contain praziquantal, but I'm sure there are other good brands on the market.