PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever?

Katie
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 09:16 AM
I was happily fish shopping today and went into an aquarium shop that I don't usually go into (and have never bought fish from). After much searching I found that they had discus for sale. Tucked away in a unlit, badly filtered tank was a 6" turk. I noticed that he had 1.Whitespot and 2. was breathing like a race horse would after the Melbourne Cup. The poor bugger had such a shrunken belly I don't think he was eating. Needless to say I felt very sorry and sad for him.
I left the store muttering very loudly about how badly their fish were kept.
Which makes me wonder, has anyone ever pointed these things out to a bad lfs? I desperately wanted to 'rescue' the little guy but was thinking it would only make things worse.

flukes
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 09:20 AM
I bought a pigeon blood because he was neglected, then as i was paying for it, i explained to him why i was buying it and that if he couldnt care for these fish not too stock them. He said well they do sell quick, it was just he was the one left from the order..

Littlefish
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 10:51 AM
Have a look at www.sydneycichlid.com under Articles, The Moral High Ground and check out some of the scurrilous practices in the trade.

Some LFS just don't give a rat's.

Fred :x

weird
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 12:46 PM
See it all the time. I almost did a rescue this weekend, but I could not justify paying $80 for a tiny red alenquer. Sad, but I just can't rescue every fish =(

Katie
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 12:49 PM
Scott- Do you think I should go back for him? I hate to see anything suffer needlessly. IF he hasn't been eating (which it looks like) for awhile, is it even possible to get him to start now?

BTW this is how I ended up with a new cat and dog last year. Am a sucker for sad faces.... :wink:

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 02:25 PM
Katie, there is something you could try. Go baack to the shop and tell them you are interested in the fish, but he looks real skinny and you want to see him eat before you buy him.

If they are willing to feed him in front of you, and IF he takes the food, you could probably try a rescue.

If you do get him, be sure to quarantine him well away from your other fish, and make absolutely sure that you keep any contaminated nets, hoses, etc. well away from your healthy fish.

flukes
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 09:50 PM
Thats a good plan at least you know he is eating.

chrissyoscar
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 10:40 PM
If you are going to purchase the discus and it has white spot and is very skinny you should point these things out to the owner.
Tell him that the fish is in a bad way which is obvious just by looking at it and you want a discount on the price. Point out to him that is somebody with little or no experience buys the discus then it will almost certainly die and that will be one customer he'll loose for life.

Oscar