PDA

View Full Version : Water Changes

chris
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 07:56 AM
I maybe getting to fussy but I just wonted to know if everyone else, after water changes turns there lights back on or leaves them off for the day.
or maybe change water before lights turn on.
Its really a nothing question, just a thought of mine :!:

flukes
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 08:43 AM
why?? less stress on the fish.??

I dont think a water change will cause major drama unless the water your using isnt the same as the tank water..

Mattzilla
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 09:24 AM
leave the lights on if you can
otherwise turn them off while you do the w/c and then back on after the w/c

not sure about everyone else but my discus do not get spooked by w/c

flukes
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 09:26 AM
no spooking here...

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 10:40 AM
I think our discus get so used to water changes, that they regard it as a normal part of their day. Sometimes I will empty the tank till their dorsal fins are sticking out of the water. They just patiently lay on their side, and wait for the tank to be refilled. I usually feed them after a w/c so they're probably thinking about the food that's on the way. :P

Ben
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:25 AM
Chris,
rather than fill the tanks up with buckets after a water change i have my aging drums set high with a tap and hose on the bottom, so i let gravity fill the tanks. Its a bit on the slow side but there is no shock what so ever!
I Have seen pairs quiver and peck at the breeding cone while the tank is filling up with fresh water!

Even if you do fill the tank with a bucket it is fine as long as it does not get dumped into the tank in uder a second!
Merrilyn is right, discus become used to the routine.

Cheers,
Ben

weird
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 12:42 PM
Thats funny Lady Red,' dorsal fins are sticking out of the water'

My guys are not bothered by W/c ... I do them every night ... light on or off. The only time I annoyed them is when they were already alseep and I did it at 2.30 am in the morning.

Problem now I have is because they have a big group they are too confident and start attacking the vacuum cleaner thinking it is food getting sucked up.

chris
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 12:44 PM
Sounds like a good set up ben, but I will have get the bucket brigade going for a while.
Good point Merrilyn, they will think of a water change as a way of life.