PDA

View Full Version : Sharing some pics of what's been growing

rex82
Wed Jun 07, 2017, 11:09 AM
After being out of discus breeding for quite awhile last year I built this small fishroom which this year I have been filling it up, this old forum doesn't get much traffic anymore but thought I'd share some pics anyways :)

rex82
Wed Jun 07, 2017, 11:12 AM
I don't know how to get the pics the right way up lol

Hollowman
Fri Jun 09, 2017, 11:25 AM
Good work.... what strain?

rex82
Fri Jun 09, 2017, 01:37 PM
Thanks,
Most of those are golden red melons, also have batches of checkered pigeons, cobalts and snakeskin/cobalt cross. The biggest in the room are 4" body length freeswimmers 15th of feb

fern
Sat Jun 10, 2017, 12:52 AM
I don't know how to get the pics the right way up lol
Who cares. I will swap you "how to rotate pictures" for your discus breeding ability. Those bigger ones already look so consistently rounded. And really nice growth rate.

rex82
Sat Jun 10, 2017, 02:58 AM
Who cares. I will swap you "how to rotate pictures" for your discus breeding ability. Those bigger ones already look so consistently rounded. And really nice growth rate.

Thanks fern,
The breeding part isn't the hard part though lol. This forum has really dropped over the years I see. Could really do with some promoting

sayid
Sat Jun 10, 2017, 07:29 AM
Lovely looking fish , how do you clean the parents and do you have any problem with flukes?
What do you think of artificial raising of juvies ?
If you were nearer i would have loved to visit them.
Good luck with every thing.

rex82
Sat Jun 10, 2017, 08:16 AM
Thanks sayid, they're coming along well I feel.

I give the parents a fluke treatment with potassium permanganate when I first get them and any signs I have heavy infestation of them.
Are you having issues with flukes? Water changes are key to dropping numbers definitely and helps prevent reinfestation

rex82
Sat Jun 10, 2017, 08:17 AM
If anyone is chasing any I do ship

sayid
Sun Jun 11, 2017, 01:32 AM
Hi rex , i don't have a heavy infestation of fluke but but there are always 2 or 3 fish out of 15 adult fish that show heavy breathing i usually treat with pp 2mg/l that that reduces the number but it never eliminate the whole issue for good ,i need to buy andrew soh book ,i have heard that he mentions a technique where he claims that he can eliminates the gill flukes for good with pp 2mg/l , 4 hours x 5 treatment, so i am thinking of trying that avenue ,but it is lengthy and PITA so we see how i go .
Good luck with your fish .

rex82
Sun Jun 11, 2017, 07:45 AM
Flukes and discus go hand in hand I feel, and even if you get them fluke free as soon as you add another fish that isn't a discus you'll end up with flukes again.

sayid
Sun Jun 11, 2017, 10:49 AM
You are absolutely right and that's why it is almost impossible to do.