PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie question

spdiscus
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 10:13 AM
Hello everyone, Im new here and to discus. I got a couple of newbie questions. What are some basics for keeping discus? What they eat? and what is the mimimal tank size for 5( I hear they like to live in groups). Any good informative links are good. thanks.

flukes
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 11:26 AM
Ok well ill try help you get you on your way.

Firstly, clean water and a varied diet = healthy discus.. Neglect on either of these and you fish will suffer..
That means planning an easy way too do water changes so you can do them as often as possible..

Discus will wat alot of things and you should feed all of these things too keep up their protein.. Things like a flake food (reccomend discus preimium) blood worms, brine shrimp, red worms, earth worms.. Live foods for treats.. The more varitey the better.

Now sized tank, It is better too have them in groups of 5 or more and a rule of thumb is 10gal per adult discus. So for 5 a 4ft tank would be about right..

Any other questions let us know...

Merrilyn
Sun Apr 17, 2005, 06:17 PM
Welcome to the forum spdiscus. Nice to have you with us.

There's lots of great information right here on this website, and lots of friendly people to help you along.

First thing, I'd like you to test your water. Fill a clean glass with tap water. Let it stand for 24 hours, then test the pH and hardness. Discus like soft, acid water, so it's important to know what your basic readings are.

DR.V
Mon Apr 18, 2005, 07:22 AM
i think you will need at least 4FT tank to start .
if you buy small tank soon or later you will upgrade to bigger one as discus will grow fast under proper care .