PDA

View Full Version : about to become a discus owner :)

Tyler Pike
Mon Aug 24, 2015, 08:32 AM
So I am buying a proven pair of discus tomorrow and would just like to post some pictures of them along with some questions :)
I would like to know what strain you believe they are? I notice that the female has vertical stripes whereas the males are horizontal. Their current owner tells me they are 'tiger discus' although thats not a strain right?... blue turqs? something else?
also, I have never owned discus before, but was told by a friend in the hobby that I could save myself some heartache by buying fully grown domestic strains raised in tap water if possible. So I've decided to go this route rather than buying 10 5cm babies. I have a tank cycled that used to house apistos with a ph of 6.2 ready to go and even purchased an ro unit for water changes since the ph out of the tap here is about 8 D:
these guys are being air freighted from melbourne to queensland, just wondering how discus travel? kinda having nightmares about them being dead on arrival.

shiney2512
Tue Aug 25, 2015, 10:09 PM
if you haven't already brought these guys, goto facebook and lookup the Gold Coast Discus, - you can buy quality discus at a good price - highly recommended

rburrowes
Wed Aug 26, 2015, 07:41 AM
There a nice pair, can I ask what you paid for them?

Tyler Pike
Fri Aug 28, 2015, 11:13 AM
I paid $400 :)
First night in the tank and the female is doing this little dance towards her boyfriend then he does this head nod thing, so flipping cute!
I also noticed them flicking their pectoral fins, which I didnt think was so cute.. Dosed the tank with Kusuri today, hopefully I've got it before its a problem!

mattgoanna
Sat Aug 29, 2015, 01:02 AM
Nice fish at a good price. They look like tiger turks. You have absolutely done the best thing if you are new to discus by getting adults and a proven pair. Flicking is fine, it is rubbing against objects called 'flashing' that will indicate a problem.

Tyler Pike
Sat Aug 29, 2015, 09:56 AM
Tiger Turks hey :) cool, thanks. You wouldnt believe how many people have told me im silly because "you could buy like 10 for that price!" haha, but I would hate to have a bunch of stunted, sick or dead juvies due to my lack of experience. Thankyou! Thats great to know the flicking is fine :) they are so different from other fish I have that pretty much everything they do stresses me out.