PDA

View Full Version : Sunnyside Aquarium

shakadog
Thu May 07, 2015, 01:27 AM
Hi All in Melbourne,

anyone know what is happening with this store. Last time I visited was in March and they looked to have some good fish from Forest Discus. I have cycled my tank now and was looking to buy some discus but they seem to be shut for renovations.

However I have read on their site and elsewhere that they were reopening end of April, then beginning of May and it is now 7th May and nothing. There phone rings out and they aren't answering emails.

If they are still in business then it is terrible customer management not having a clear message on their website or facebook or an email automated message or phone to properly inform customers of what they are actually doing.

If anyone has anything definitive that would be good as I am stocking my tank now and don't want to be waiting around for another two months if they are out of business and not going to be of any use.

jimstreet
Thu May 07, 2015, 05:31 AM
They were pretty random when I bought my discus from them. I saw they have been closed for renovations for a while, dunno what is going on there. They were also moving a while ago too. They do a lot of commercial tank/installs/maintenance maybe that is keeping them busy. They have never replied to any email I sent, even though they were open. Answering the phone was also optional. Pity as they always stocked great discus.

shakadog
Thu May 07, 2015, 07:08 AM
Yea I've wanted to go for a drive for a few weekends now and they aren't responding to any form of communication.

Mavzta
Fri May 08, 2015, 11:54 AM
What vicinity are you around? I could name a few good ones.

jimstreet
Sat May 16, 2015, 10:20 AM
Looks like they're open again, I might see if I can get there tomorrow.

shakadog
Sun May 17, 2015, 08:19 AM
Thanks, I drove past and dropped in as well but looks like they will be open on and off next couple of weeks. Best to call and make sure they are open before you drop in. He said they would have another shipment in a couple of weeks and should be out in early June.

mattgoanna
Sun May 17, 2015, 09:47 AM
It has certainly been an interesting communication strategy. Open, not open, open from time to time. I am told the other aquariums are not complaining.

jimstreet
Sun May 17, 2015, 09:52 AM
Agreed but where else can you purchase Forrest discus from?

mattgoanna
Sun May 17, 2015, 10:01 AM
What we should be doing is all getting together and renting one of the quarantine facilities (and we can) and bringing in the best fish from Asia as a one off shipment. We just need a volunteer to go to Singapore and hand pick the fish.

shakadog
Mon May 18, 2015, 07:18 AM
yea its a challenge with all fish isn't it, I cant bring myself to order sight unseen over the internet fish, they may have various return policies etc but the hassle, stress and issues I don't want to deal with. Besides I really enjoy going for a drive and spending time looking in al the tanks and hoping to find something new or interesting I haven't seen before or for quite some time.

I bought a Discus from Sunnyside last week and added it to my tank with the ones I already had.

Did a dose with Kursuri after as a bit of a preventative and all seems to be good a few days later. Will be interested to see what they get in in next shipment.

shakadog
Thu May 28, 2015, 07:25 AM
Hey all, just tried calling sunnyside Aquarium and I get a Telstra message saying the number isn't connected. I notice there are still posts on the Facebook page and one talking about a new shipment.

Anyone got a phone number for them as I'm not on Facebook and don't want to drive all the way there if there not open.

jimstreet
Fri May 29, 2015, 07:54 AM
Yes phone appears to be disconnected and no response to my Facebook PM. If they were not so far away I'd drop in and see if they're physically still there.

jimstreet
Fri May 29, 2015, 11:48 AM
Just received a response from them

Sunnyside Aquarium
5/29, 9:41pm

Hi, sorry about no interaction lately, we have are currently undergoing a major refurbishment, our shop has been closed but we are now getting back on track. i will send you through a stocklist soon as details are currently being confirmed. meanwhile you can feast your eyes on our album that i have just posted ! this is to arrive next week so release will be mid june. however, we are having a pre-release for a current shipment in our store which is already to go as of next week - photos and pricelist will be uploaded soon! thank you for your patience and support.

Sunnyside Aquarium
9:41pm

There has been a problem with our phone due to the works that are going on, but telstra said that the phonelines should be up and running by next week.!

shakadog
Fri May 29, 2015, 01:46 PM
Thanks for that, I've still got room for quite a few discus so hoping they will get some nice ones in. I really want some pure red ones, no white face if I can find them.

jimstreet
Tue Jun 02, 2015, 04:20 AM
Sunnyside have just released their price sheet and pics on Facebook, you will want to reserve your fish now if you want some as they go quick and most are presold before they land.

I can't afford wilds so I reserved 2 Alenquer Cross, the fish with the stars in the pic.

http://blkmav.com/fish/ac.jpg

Taken from another thread

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/kennysdiscus02/Kennys%20Discus%202014b/AlenquerX-auction3_zpsf9684c4a.jpg

jimstreet
Tue Jun 02, 2015, 09:53 AM
All grown up

http://blkmav.com/fish/ac3.jpg

jimstreet
Wed Jun 03, 2015, 09:04 AM
From FB

Good news guys ..

WE ARE BACK OPEN FOR BUSINESS !

We have lots of new stock in so come visit us this long weekend if you are around.

Come and see the changes we have made, share our stories and experiences.

We are open ALL LONG WEEKEND ;

Thursday 4th of June : 10am - 6pm
Friday 5th of June : 10am - 6pm
Saturday 6th of June : 10am - 6pm
Sunday 7th of June : 10am - 6pm
Monday 8th of June : 10am - 6pm

Trading hours are resumed as followed;

Tuesday : CLOSED
Wednesday : 10am - 6pm
Thursday : 10am - 6pm
Friday : 10am - 6pm
Saturday : 10am - 6pm
Sunday : 10am - 6pm
Monday : 10am - 6pm

We are still experiencing some difficulty with our phone lines so if you cant get through please message us here as we will be monitoring this inbox .

Thank you for your patience and support, we hope to see you guys soon !

- Management

ddr
Wed Jun 03, 2015, 09:37 AM
so how are you reserving them?

jimstreet
Wed Jun 03, 2015, 10:10 AM
I received another message today to say they wouldn't reserve fish anymore and it was first in best dressed when they were released from quarantine.

ddr
Wed Jun 03, 2015, 10:29 AM
Ok bummer, ive asked when they are going to be released but havent got an answer

shakadog
Wed Jun 03, 2015, 11:00 AM
Thx for the heads up, just need to know when the shipment is in the shop before I drive all the way there, looks like could be some nice fish

jimstreet
Fri Jun 12, 2015, 09:17 AM
Get down there asap tomorrow if you want fish as they were released tonight.

I managed to get the Alenquer Cross pair I was after.

shakadog
Sat Jun 13, 2015, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I got down there today and bought a bunch of them,

Golden checkerboard piegon
Leopard snake skin
Blue face Browns
Rafflesia

Tank is pretty much fully stocked now, can maybe at best fit one or two more types in the tank. I know they have really good fish but I did a dose of the kursuri wormer plus as I don't have a spare quarantine tank.

So will not add or change anything now for the next couple of months.

jimstreet
Sat Jun 13, 2015, 09:35 PM
Glad to hear you got some fish.

I dosed some Kursuri also as I didn't have my QT tank setup

ddr
Sun Jun 14, 2015, 08:24 AM
I got a couple yesterday too a LSS which sadly isnt eating yet & a fiamma rosa which is eating & doing great. Wasnt planning on the rosa but when I saw how red they were couldnt say no.
Dosed with Kursuri too :)

jimstreet
Sun Jun 14, 2015, 09:11 AM
One of my new pair is still a little timid to get into the biffo for food but I did see him eat some. They go nuts for the frozen bloodworm but haven't worked out the dry yet. I've upped the dry in the autofeeder from 2 to 3 times a day. It is all gone within 1-2 minutes and what lands on the sand the Sterbai are quick to clean up.

Interesting to see Sunnyside are now close tomorrow, maybe the shipment is sold out.

shakadog
Sun Jun 14, 2015, 01:23 PM
Possible there were a lot of people waiting to get fish when I was there Saturday, I'll wait till next shipment in a month or two and see what comes in then, still think I can fit a few more in lol.

Not all of the ones I bought are eating yet but often new discus can take a week or more to start feeding so I wouldn't stress over a day at all. I got some of the LSS as well and they are so far being the most timid of my new ones.

I bought some of those dried worm blocks and have been hand feeding the discus with them. Most of my older ones come up and eat out of my fingers now and in a week or so I reckon the new ones will too.

ddr
Mon Jun 15, 2015, 09:46 AM
It ate a few pieces of beef heart tonight, but yes very timid compared to the Fiamma Rosa which is roaming the tank like it owns the place.

More?? Damn I need a bigger tank. but that will bring a devorce with it. ;)

jimstreet
Mon Jun 15, 2015, 10:02 AM
but yes very timid compared to the Fiamma Rosa which is roaming the tank like it owns the place.

My Flamingo Throwback did exactly that and is now the top discus of the pack.

shakadog
Tue Jun 16, 2015, 07:49 AM
I put a couple of photos up of the new fish in this post under the photo section of the forum if your interested.

Can never have enough fish and yes divorce is mentioned often lol, yet handbags and shoes and glasses have no limits

angel101
Mon Jun 22, 2015, 01:25 PM
It ate a few pieces of beef heart tonight, but yes very timid compared to the Fiamma Rosa which is roaming the tank like it owns the place.

More?? Damn I need a bigger tank. but that will bring a devorce with it. ;)

Dan, Dan, surely by now you have all the tactics for new purchases in place. I PMed you a few months ago. Did you get it? If not, PM a contact number.

Gary.

jimstreet
Sat Oct 17, 2015, 07:58 AM
Dropped into Sunnyside this arvo to check out their new shipment. The Forrest discus just get better and better. They have some amazing discus in stock at the moment. I didn't buy any discus but I did buy some large cardinals they had to top up the school.

angel101
Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:21 AM
Just heard that this business is now under new management.

jimstreet
Wed Nov 25, 2015, 08:44 PM
Yes Aquatico Aquarium is the new name. They're doing a 30% off opening special on all discus at the moment...

I plan to drop in on Friday to get the details, not so long ago they were named Aquatic Escape Aquarium, then Sunnyside, now Aquatico...

shakadog
Sat Nov 28, 2015, 01:04 PM
Wonder if that means they will be open when advertised, I drove there a couple of times and they were shut. Very frustrating as its a fair drive. Haven't been for a while as they never answer the phone, so let us know if there open and have any decent fish.