PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Metro Australia??

Ziggy
Tue Oct 15, 2013, 06:12 AM
Hi all,
I have a discus who needs some Metro but this is an S4 drug here in Australia and can only be obtained under prescription. It seems ridiculous that I have to take a fish to the vet to get this medicine. Does anyone know if there is any other way to (legally) obtain this medicine please?

mattgoanna
Tue Oct 15, 2013, 09:43 AM
It is not a great drug in my experience. What is it you are treating for?

Ziggy
Tue Oct 15, 2013, 10:53 AM
I don't actually need it right now but I was trying to organise a "first aid kit" or "medicine cabinet" ready for my discus if I should need it.

In your experience everyone, what would you put into a discus medicine cabinet?

mattgoanna
Tue Oct 15, 2013, 11:05 AM
I keep
AZOO anti-endoparasitesctabs for worms
Prazi for gill flukes
Prime for ammonia and water changes
Seachem Stability in case I kill bacteria
Salt for slime problems
KH powder for pH crash

Ziggy
Tue Oct 15, 2013, 01:06 PM
Thank you for those ideas. :)

Discus Planetarium
Wed Oct 16, 2013, 09:06 AM
But yet the vets have no idea about fish

Kerrie
Sat Nov 09, 2013, 09:11 AM
:shock:

turquoisegirl1
Sun Nov 10, 2013, 07:31 AM
does still need to be obtained under prescription and is a good treatment for discus plague should you ever be unfortunate enough to have it in your tanks - there isn't much else that can fix a bad case and the metro does a good job in that situation. as far as I know, you can simply ask a vet if on "other vet business" (if you have a dog or cat or other animal and take them to the vet, you can just mention that you need some metro in the consult and they will generally just give a script), or even try just calling your vet and asking for a script over the phone, but generally a consult is needed - failing that, ask around your LFS or local hobbyists and they will usually sell a little if they have some!

sunshinediscus
Sun Nov 10, 2013, 06:36 PM
http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/fish-health-medication/metronidazole-powder-100g-salt-freshwater/prod_2347.html

No prescription needed.

Kerrie
Mon Nov 11, 2013, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the link Rod, sure Guppies is going to be out of stock pretty quickly!

angel101
Tue Feb 18, 2014, 12:41 PM
Just found a store in Melbourne selling a hexamita treatment that contains metro as an active ingredient. Keysborough Aquarium.