PDA

View Full Version : Filtered water removes chlorine??

Ziggy
Mon Sep 30, 2013, 03:30 AM
Hi all, I have a HiFlow inline water filter on my kitchen sink. I have contacted the company to ask them if the filter removes chlorine and they say it does. Does anyone know if this filtered water would still need a dechlorinater when I use it in the water changes pease? I still add Prime to it but do I need to really?
Thanks,
Ziggy

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 01:15 PM
It will remove chlorine, heck even just storing the tap water in a tub and letting the chlorine off gas will improve the water, but what it may not do is remove chloramine, which is a combined chlorine and ammonia treatment.

Prime also neutralises heavy metals too, which I don't think your filter will do. It will give you good water for water changes, but for safety, I'd still use Prime.

Ziggy
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 11:05 PM
Yep that's what I figured so I've been adding Prime anyway, just in case. I use this tap for the quarantine and little tanks with a bucket to fill. Given I have the big 700L tank too, I'm just organising a water barrel/tank to age my water in as well for that big tank.
Thanks heaps :)

Hooked
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 02:01 AM
Hi Ziggy,

Gumtree is a good source for containers. You can get the brown plastic barrels with black screw on lids for about $15 over here. They are ex olive barrels and come into the country from Greece by the container load. They are everywhere. They hold about 200 lts from memory and although bigger than what you are chasing I bet its not long before a barrel that size/volume is found to be handy. They are easy to move around when empty : )

Just looked up a link for you over there to give you an idea of something similar to consider. Hope it helps,

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/macdonald-park/miscellaneous-goods/200ltr-food-grade-pickle-barrels/1028081234

Cheers

Ziggy
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 08:10 AM
Excellent hooked, thanks so much! I just messages the person who placed the advert you linked to to see if I could get one.
Thanks so much!
:P