PDA

View Full Version : Con Job

DiscusMad
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 01:49 PM
Have you every been coned by your fish into feeding more or an extra bit of food?

this includes somebody else feeding them as well shortly after you feed them

kkiu
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 01:58 PM
Hehe yes, just the other day. I left the room and my gf fed them. Then I came back and she wasnt there.

I looked at the fish they looked hungry, so I started feeding them.

Then she comes back in and says she just fed them.

I WAS CONNED!

Katie
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 01:58 PM
Everytime I stick my hand in the tank I am mobbed by my 4 guys, pecking at my fingers. They follow the vacum around the tank and make 'sad' little faces at me when I sit down to watch them. Instead of 3 feeds a day they usually end up with a 4th treat of blood worms. They sucker me in everytime

leanne31
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 02:04 PM
Well considering my juvies get fed a minimum of 6 feeds a day sometimes even more I say Im conned every day Ill feed them, walk out, come back in and they ask for food again greedy buggers :lol:

Leanne

DR.V
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 03:34 PM
my discus is always hungry ... dont know why :P
maybe they are really dumb! they eat everything they see :p

weird
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 03:42 PM
Food means growth, so it is catch 22 when feeding fish ... I always feel I am not feeding my discus enough .. every time they come to me I know they are healthy cause they are hungry, but I am always so worried about the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate etc I hold back abit .... honestly if I could I would feed them non stop and do 100% water changes a day if I could.

I know wot u mean about being conned though, I have some beautiful bala sharks, and one of them has really outgrown his tank ... he begs for food and lately I have been suckered into feeding him extra ... but unless u do regular water changes ... it is the quickest way to say good bye to your friends =(

I was at a shop today which has 'healthy discus' in such that they were not showing any sickness, but I thought their development was stunted. My thinking was that they were probably doing necessary water changes and properly medicating (where I think alot of shops go wrong) but were not feeding adequately.

weird
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 07:50 AM
Feeding time ...

heckelboy
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 08:37 AM
Welcome to discus keeping

Mattzilla
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 09:07 AM
i get conned all the time.... i know it's happening but i can't help it some times...

although i do know when enough is enough.... going too overboard isn't good for them

weird
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 09:12 AM
Matt that is amazing, you should not hide that post within this thread ! Wow.

Mattzilla
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 09:14 AM
huh????

goldenpigeon
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 12:10 PM
yer i agree ....... huh????

lol

Merrilyn
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 12:23 PM
Me too - c'mon Dave - explain yourself :P

weird
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 12:55 PM
Sorry guys I don't mean to be confusing ... I am referring to the link Matt has kindly posted, I am trying to say the pictures are so good, you should create a thread just to show those pictures so everybody's attention are drawn to them, no just add them to this thread ... those picts are awesome !!!!! :? :D :P :D :lol:

Merrilyn
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 01:07 PM
Aaaaaah now that makes sense. Thanks Dave :D

wild_amazon
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 02:48 PM
Dave, nice pictures.
What strains are the ones on the right (first picture) and on the very top?
Nice cobalt/powder blue.

weird
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 12:07 AM
Red turqs, blue diamonds, one of top Pigeon Blood (and his mrs is hiding round the back) , and believe it or not the small orange ones are young red marlboros :D

africandiscus
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 12:19 AM
I thought only one of the parents is a red marlboros (if they are the ones from dreamer)

Only because mine are also orange. Nowhere near red :( :(

weird
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 12:40 AM
Hmmmm ... they are from dreamer ... I thought both parents were Red Marlboros and was hoping they would color up as they got older ... but now I don't know. Is that right only one parent was a Red Marlboro , in the his pics both parents looked like red marlboros I thought and also when I saw them ?

Its funny, they think they are Tangerine Pigeon Bloods atm, cause they hang around my 2 adults.

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 05:38 AM
A lot of colour is diet related. Feeding a high percentage of foods containing carotene will increase the red colouration. Try adding prawn, fish roe and spirulina to your beef heart mix and see if that makes a difference. Tetra colour bits also contains a red colour improver.

kalebjarrod
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 09:33 AM
carrots contain carotene and so does capsicum

and by the way

and i don't get conned, i make the decsions in my house

hang on the fish need another feed, hungry little fellas just msn'd me for some more food.

i never get con :wink: