PDA

View Full Version : Adding new discus - 1 fish being harassed

steeledr
Mon Mar 25, 2013, 03:28 AM
I have just set up a new 4ft planted discus tank - For 2 weeks 5 fish were put into a tank together at the shop to get used to each other, the 6th fish was not but was added to my tank the same day/time as the others, over a 3 day period. The 5 fish that were already together settled in fine, however they all kept harassing the other fish constantly which then set off some sort of pattern and all the fish were not happy, the largest would hassle all the others, the 2nd largest would hassle all the others except the largest fish etc. and for 2 weeks it did not stop. And then ALL the fish used to gang up on the new one. The new fish was the 2nd largest fish but it didnt seem to matter, all the others would continually hassle it. At first it was not concerned and used to hassle back, but after a few days of being constantly picked on it seemed to lose its spirit and became frightened, so sad to watch. No doubt that after a couple of weeks the fish being hassled ended up with an internal parasite so I removed him from the main tank and returned him to the shop until he recovers. Almost immediately all the fighting stopped. Now the 5 remaining fish are very happy - they all know their pecking order and everything seems good. HOWEVER I really don't know if its a good idea to bring this fish back into my tank because I am concerned he will again will be constantly harassed and all the others will be unhappy. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.