PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy LEDs. Need some advice

Livingfish78
Thu Mar 14, 2013, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a new tank that I'm looking on buying some LEDs for . It's 9 foot by 2.5foot high by 2.0ft wide...

I have only wild discus and swords , have fern and Anubis ..

I'm confused on what LEDs to buy .

Some advice would appreciated . I have looking at maxspects , and ecotech radion ...

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 15, 2013, 11:49 AM
if your not going to grow plants (real plants) and you just want to display discus a 4 module maxspect with neutral and warm white XML's will be plenty, just get the lights atleast 2 feet above the surface of the tank.

if you want more light concider add more modules to your max spect (say a total of 8 modules 4 banks of 2 across your 9 x2 foot tank foot print)

either way big $$$ if your handy DIY yourself a nice light using 3500-6000K chips and you wont go wrong

turquoisegirl1
Sat Mar 16, 2013, 05:31 AM
id also take a look at the aquaray 1500 gro tiles - have one over a 2 foot tank at the moment and it grows ANYTHING, you might just want to do a read up on the depth restrictions - you should be able to get away with 5 tiles over your length, but you can always add tubes as well :)

theres not too many LEDs out there that grow plants, the fancy LED stuff tends to focus more on the reef enthusiasts...

but your best bet, or what i would do, would be a diy, as Illusn said. just be careful with the quality of the LEDs that you source, CREE are by far your best, followed by your more basic BRIDGELUX chips.

good luck!