PDA

View Full Version : Photos from my trip

wild_amazon
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:48 PM
I went on a 10 days trip to Indonesia and Singapore. Managed to take some pictures of discus and others.

goldenpigeon
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:49 PM
very nice!! which farm did you go to???

DR.V
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:50 PM
where about did u go in Indonesia ?

wild_amazon
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:52 PM
More...

wild_amazon
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:56 PM
More...

goldenpigeon
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 02:01 PM
wow!! were all these 4 sale? were they sellin crocs? i would love 1 of those kool turtles. did you bring any back? LOL

DR.V
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 02:08 PM
those turtles looks cute !! you should've bought some and smuggle them in your jacket :P:P:P

oh well Jakarta got everything, i bet u suprised when u asked how much they were ??
cheap ! cheap ! cheap !

wild_amazon
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 02:11 PM
The discus pictures were taken from a big fish exporter Qian Hu. It's listed on Singapore stock exchange!! Has many rows of discus tanks.
Yes, they are all for sale including the croc (probably endangered species).

Yes they are cheap, none of the fish in this tank is over AUS$3.
Green turtles are SG$2.50 each. Surprisingly fresh water stingray go as high as SG$1,500. Or you can swap your BMW for a red arowana.

All wild discus SG$100 each around AUS$80. But if you go to Singapore forum, they sell them for $40-$70 each.

the_oracle
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 02:51 PM
So,you came to my country.............did you like it? The weather right now in Singapore is kinda hot & humid.
Qin Hu is one of the big players in Singapore and yes , they're a listed company. They have a very large farm in Singapore and a few overseas. And they're also one of the most successful aro. breeders. Did you visit other LFS while you were here? There are a few LFS that offers good discus. Maybe I can accompany you the next time you're here.
BTW, Aquarama in just around the corner. Any of you guys coming down to Singapore? You know, you shouldn't miss this, cause this is one the biggest fish show in the world...................

Regards,
Sanie.

wild_amazon
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 03:44 PM
Yes, it's a good trip. I always visited LFS in Singapore, it's great for fish hobbyist. Very large varieties of fish and aquarium equipments also very cheap in comparison to Australia. Like previous trips I went to Clementi to buy aquarium products. Pity can't bring fish back.

Yes, I like to visit Aquarama. I was planning to go 2 years ago but was postponed because of bird flu. When is it this year?

DiscusMad
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 04:13 PM
it seems like you keep sneaking pics in while I disapear for a few seconds lol

the_oracle
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 05:41 PM
Aquarama will be held this year on 26th to 29th May. Hope you can make it this time round.......................
Hope to meet you then.

You might want to check out this link:
http://www.discusclubsg.com/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1948

flukes
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 03:47 AM
Oracle - Would be great if you could take some pictures and do a post on the event for all of us that wont be able too see it..

Littlefish
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 07:48 AM
I'll have to stop looking at these photos. I'm starting to drool onto the keyboard. :o

Reminiscing too.

I lived in Singapore for a while (1962 - 1965) when I was a kid. I used to prowl around the creeks and monsoon drains with some local friends. Never failed to get a good catch of colourful guppies, gouramis, snakeheads, etc.

$2.50 for a turtle?!?! In Brisbane a local turtle costs around $100 plus licence plus around $50 a year to maintain licence...

Still, the cost of keeping an imported model is about $60,000 in fines.

OK, I'm stopping now.

Fred

kswong34
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 07:58 AM
Hi, I am from Malaysia. :)

As I understand, the tortoise from the picture are called the "Indian Star Tortoise". They are very popular few years back in Malaysia and selling for around RM60.00@ ~AUD20.00. But now they have been classified
as "protected" species and could hardly find in the market anymore unless the "black market".

They are considered as "desert" tortoise as they live in dry land. You will only need to provide it a small dish of water for them to drink. They are also vegetarian which will only eat fruit and vegetable especially "Kang Kong - Malay word". They are prone to diarrhoea, so do not feed them "high water contain" fruit like paw paw and watermelon etc.

Hope these help :oops:

kswong34
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 07:59 AM
Hi, just realised the vege in the photo is the "Kang Kong".

BTW, what is the vege call????

wild_amazon
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 11:49 AM
The green turtles that I mentioned is not the one on the picture. I don't know where they get them from but would be a pity to see them extinct. They don't seem to need water like green turtles etc if the picture can give an indication. Singapore is much more regulated than Indonesia.
I am still wondering why altum angels are still very rare here while they are so easy to get in Singapore. Singapore is only 6 - 7 hours from Sydney.

the_oracle
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 12:19 PM
Flukes,
I'll try my best to get the best shots from the exhibition. And I'll post it just for you to see............

Wild amazon,
Yes, we are able to get those altums quite easily here. Bigger LFS are selling them for approximately SGD$20/pc. That's reasonably cheap, but You have to get at least 10 of them..............

Ben
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 12:21 PM
forget those turtles! give me a dozen of those red bellied piranhas!!!
Would be great in a show tank!

dreamer
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 12:25 PM
i will get at least 10pcs if they are selling for $20 here :)

oracle: where in sing best to get dupla co2 products?

wild_amazon
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 01:30 PM
Dreamer if you are going to Singapore, visit a shop at Clementi block C328. They sell lots of good products at very good prices, not sure about Dupla CO2. You need to know what you want as the friendly shop owners won't be able to give you advise. Good time to shop, high AUD$ is helping our buying power :D

dreamer
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 01:36 PM
thats my plan :) buying equipment overseas always cheaper than here ..even without the higher exchange rate like now. i will be staying in hk for couple of days as well ...and jakarta for most of my holiday.

the_oracle
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 06:38 PM
Dreamer,
There are a few LFS that sells quite cheap accesories. When you're in SG, do call me, I can recommend you some. That Clementi block 328 do sell cheap accesories.

kswong34
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 02:44 AM
Hi Guy,

Why not drop by to the neighbour country - KL, Malaysia. You will be amaze by how many variety of stuffs you can get there. what more, the exchange rate now is AUD1 - RM3.00.

Enjoy ur trip.

dreamer
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 04:12 AM
wont have time to visit malaysia, however, i will be visiting hongkong for few days.

ctvu
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 03:26 AM
Wild Amazon

Thanks for sharing the photos look like your trip was so enjoyable!!!

Dreamer

In HK there is famous street named Tung Choi street pet market, they have every thing, you name it including the UV Coralife Turbo-Twist, live stock you'd be amazed at Discus at very cheap price too. Check it out, and enjoy your trip

The Oracle

Can you tell me some shop that might have Eheim stuff 'cause I am after some accessories for my Eheim 2028. Much appreciated.

ctvu

the_oracle
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 01:30 PM
Once you're in SG, you can try Petmart at Serangoon North. They sell lots of aquarium stuffs and meds. too. You can get spare parts for Eheim and other popular brands too.

Aurora
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 02:41 PM
"forget those turtles! give me a dozen of those red bellied piranhas!!!
Would be great in a show tank!" - prodigydiscus

I agree :) Its a pity their illegal here though :(
I wouldnt enjoy doing water changes on that tank as much though........

wild_amazon
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 03:14 PM
CTVU,

I heard that Tung Choi street pet market is a pretty good place to see tropical fish. I read an article about it, sounds very interesting. I am hoping to visit the place one day.

Clementi or Petmart are good places to shop.
Oh, I also bought Eheim 2028 this trip from Clementi. Cost me SG$300 that's AUS$240!! If you want the latest style spray bar and outflow pipe, the grey colour instead of the green one, will cost you SG$30 more.

I remember many years ago I bought 2208 from Petmart for SG$260 which was AUS$260. Good time to shop with high AUS$.

Makes me wonder why Eheim cost so much over here. Sure labour is cheaper (by not much) but rent in Singapore is very expensive. I love to be an Eheim distributor.

the_oracle
Tue Apr 12, 2005, 06:18 PM
Rentals are definitely very high in SG..............

ctvu
Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:04 AM
Thanks a lot guys

ctvu