PDA

View Full Version : Wild strains tank bred discus

wild_amazon
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:11 PM
I have been doing a lot of reading about wild discus. I am discouraged by what I read. Seems to be a bit risky and expensive too. I think I will have to consider tank bred discus.
Can I still get pure strains like brown and tefe green. I know they are many varieties of brown discus but you can tell if they have been crossed. I quess I won't be able to keep Heckel but at least they will be breedable.
I like know the availability of wild strains in Australia and is any of you keep them. What do you think of the purity of the strains? Are they the same price like other tank bred discus?
Do you guys have picture of your wild strains that you can post here?

DR.V
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 02:03 PM
I think wild discus is very rare in Aust.
My local fish store can import wild discus ( Heckel ) from Malaysia , but its really expensive AUD$400 each , no quarantine and also no quarantee that the fish will survive , so why risk it ??

I think its quite hard to get wild discus in Australia

wild_amazon
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 03:49 PM
I am not prepared to pay $400 for any kind of discus. It's just too much for me. My budget is more like 100-150/discus. So I quess I'll get tank bred and wait for good ones.

DR.V
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 03:16 AM
So do i , i dont wanna risk $400 :P

dreamer
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 03:29 AM
no quarantine & no quarantee it will survive the trip ...what a joke? the fish probably wont cost the shop more than $40, so $360 for the air freight? and bag of water *LOL*

Woll
Tue May 17, 2005, 03:50 AM
i found a heckel in a fish shop today for $130, was very pretty

ctvu
Tue May 17, 2005, 04:03 AM
i found a heckel in a fish shop today for $130, was very pretty

Would u be able to tell us what size they are? Thanks

ctvu

dreamer
Tue May 17, 2005, 04:18 AM
where ?? that is CHEAP !!!!

Woll
Tue May 17, 2005, 06:10 AM
it was in hi-tec aquarium in brookvale. ummm, it was a browny gold colour with 3 black bars (1 though eye, 1 at base of tail and 1 in the middle) its about 2 or 3 inches. there was only 1

ctvu
Tue May 17, 2005, 09:39 PM
Hi Woll

Thanks for that. It must be nice fish.

ctvu

wild_amazon
Wed May 18, 2005, 01:45 AM
The three wild heckel that I bought 3 weeks ago cost $90 each. The shop said they didn't sell well because people prefer colourfull discus.
I'll post some pictures after I move them to another tank from a QT tank. My QT tank doesn't have light so pictures didn't tun up good.
Nice fish.

kevkoi
Wed May 18, 2005, 03:26 AM
Now if 3"-3.5" Tefe Red spotted greens at $60 don't get your attention, then I don't know what will..... :lol:

Breeder imported a whole lot of these into Penang about 5months ago and has managed to select his breeding stock from these. Wants to get rid of these, so we can offer them for cheap. Very nice looking healthy fish and there's a neat little trick the breeders showed me of how to get all the wild fish fins right again...

U see, when previously I have previously imported wilds from Europe, their finnage seem to be in pretty bad shape... bent rays etc etc. When the breeder in Penang receives these fish, he trims off all the fins (snip snip) and lets them regrow!! They all regrow evenly. Nice trick, and they look good.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24462#24462

wild_amazon
Wed May 18, 2005, 03:55 AM
Kevkoi,

Are the wild green available now? Have pictures?

kevkoi
Wed May 18, 2005, 04:18 AM
They've just arrived in Sydney today. Will have pictures once they have settled in quarantine. 10pc all together and if they sell, there are another 20pc in Penang. Of course this round would be the best fish as I hand selected these!

Merrilyn
Wed May 18, 2005, 04:53 AM
Kev that's fantastic. This will open up a whole new world of discus for us.

Squid
Wed May 18, 2005, 12:41 PM
By the next wet season (Jan-Mar 06)- I should have fry from wild parents. Have pairs of wild Tefe red spots, peruvian greens, normal greens (beautiful I reckon), blue faced Heckles, Royal blues, green/gold Heckles, alenquer region Blues (orange and blue!) and 2 strains of wild brown - as well as some rio inca browns (some one told me they were Heckles - not true. A lot of wild brown fish have a pronounced central bar - especially with Rio Inca/Abacais area brown specimens). I'll take some photos and show you what I mean. Watch this space. Got more brood stock coming in this Friday (Browns and Greens). I'll see how i go this breeding season

sunshinediscus
Wed May 18, 2005, 09:15 PM
Hi Squid,

I'll definately be interested in some of your F1's when they are available, let me know when you have some.

Rod

Squid
Wed May 18, 2005, 11:38 PM
No worries mate - I'll keep you informed. Some of the wild stuff can be very temperamental first time around. I'm in the process of building a new stand for the tanks that will elevate the pairs to around 7 ft off the ground which should help. The first batch of wild F1's usually gets maltreated/eaten by the parent - they learn though, but they dont spawn as prolifically as the hybrid tank raised types - maybe 2-3 clutches over the 5 month wet season. Understandibly I guess since just 2 months ago they came from pristine conditions and know they've got to get used to all the movement around here. My cockatoo regularly gets in the room and has a chew and play. Fish are scared for weeks after that.