PDA

View Full Version : Yo, Newbie saying hello

Tiger
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 07:46 AM
Hi There, I am a newbie here, saying hi to everybody.

Well, not exactly new to discus but very new to solid discus.
Like to ask if anybody know the origin and difference btw
a) RED Melon
b) Golden Melon
c) Super Melon

tks a million

goldenpigeon
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 07:49 AM
hi tiger and welcome to the discus forum!!!!

i have never heard of gold or super melons. i guess the difference is they are different colours? lol

Katie
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 08:35 AM
Hi Tiger, I was looking at one of the American Discus farms and they had something called a Super Melon. The only difference I could tell was it was a deeper shade of red. I wonder if I can copy the picture to post? Is that allowed?

weird
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 11:07 AM
Well as the saying goes, 'if you have to ask ....'

Why not just post the link in the meantime :D

Opps btw welcome Tiger and Katie :D :D

Katie
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 11:11 AM
Ok Dave...
this is what I was thinking
http://www.rockymountaindiscus.com/super_red_melon_discus.htm
IMHO I like the 'normal' melon better

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 11:45 AM
Hi tiger, and welcome to the forum.

Since 1989, many new discus strains have been developed in Asia, as a result of genetic mutations and of subsequent crossings and repetitive multi generation inbreeding.

Between 1987 and 1988 a discus emerged that lacked the 9 black bars of the common discus. In addition, the body had no blue colouring and the eye was completely white. This fish, with a ghostly appearance, was commonly called the Ghost Discus. Asian breeders discovered that using this fish in their breeding program, they could remove the bars from the common Thai Red Brown Discus to obtain the Virgin Red Discus.

Some breeders used the light yellow base wild green to cross with Virgin Red, while others used a light colour wild brown to produce a more intense red, but without bars - the San Merah Discus. Some were crossing an improved version of the Golden Discus with the San Merah, thus obtaining Red Passion Discus.

Others were using offspring from the golden discus crossed with Malboro Red Discus and crossed back with San Merah, obtaining another type of solid red discus called Red Melon Discus.

Thanks to the dedication of the asian breeders, we have an almost endless variety of colours and patterns available to us today.

*Information obtained from Exotic Discus of the World, edited by Dr. Clifford Chan*

Katie
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 11:53 AM
Speaking of San Merah, does anyone know where I can come by some in QLD?

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 11:57 AM
Katie, I'd suggest you send a PM to Kev of SLS aquariums, or to Rod Lewis of Sunshine Discus. Either should be able to get you good quality fish.

Dee
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 12:05 PM
Hi Merrilyn,

Great info ! I have to get a copy of that book, thanks for the post.

Cheers,

Dee :)

DR.V
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 02:09 PM
never heard of super red melon
but .. HELL !!! this discus looks great , nice solid dark red , like blood colour ... any of this in australia ? sydney ??

Merrilyn
Sat Apr 09, 2005, 10:43 AM
Kev's the man to ask. Send him a PM. :wink:

flukes
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 03:17 AM
Also do a google on Ivan Serah (sp?) He is one of the pioneers in most of the red strain discus and was the creator of the manderine passion.

He has a great site with great photo's of some of his work, check it out..

Tiger
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 09:12 AM
tks so much, you guys are great !!
So I learn alot from this forum, not only melon but san merah, tks

kalebjarrod
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 09:58 AM
Welcome :wink: