PDA

View Full Version : Position of filter's inflow pipe.

wild_amazon
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:42 AM
I have cannister filters on all my tanks. Nice and quite. I have a question regarding the position of filter's inflow pipe in the tank. One side of a tank, depending on the position of the spray bars, gathers most of the waste etc. Is it better to put the inflow pipe where poop gathers, meaning that they will get sucked into filters. Or should I put it on the clean side and remove the poop during vacuming/water change. My understanding is that cannister filter should not be cleaned every week. I only cleaned mine every 2 - 3 months or so. Too much work.
Which one is better for the fish?

Bill T.
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:48 AM
How quiet? I have two eheim canister filters running, one each end of my tank. I couldn't say they are quiet as they do "hum" a bit, but they do a good job.

So I put the intake and spray bar in the same corner. I wish they would pick up more waste than they do. In any case, as I have learned through this site, frequent water changes are unavoidable.

goldenpigeon
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:55 AM
well you certainly dont want to clog your filter up with poo ant gunk and you dont want to clean it every week because they are buggers to clean. whats your W/C reigeme like?i would probrably suggest putting the intake in the clean end to save the filter from clogging. if you do this you may have to gravel vac more but that is not the end of the world. the last thing you want to do is upset the filter and bacteria! and then your fish wont be happy. it really depends how much waste is in the dirty end. if it is only a little i would put the intake down there.

can you tell more about the waste end eg. how much waste is in the dirty end then we will be able to determine where to put it better.

wild_amazon
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 02:59 AM
I have 4 eheim cannisters and I find them quite. Still can hear hum a bit. I used to have a trickle filter system that was just noisy.

The tanks are bare with driftwoods and java fern and anubias nana. I vaccum my tanks every weekend occasionally twice a week (30 - 50% water volume).
Clogging is not a problem so far but when I clean the filters they have a lot of waste and black colour water at the bottom part. Smell fishy too.

leanne31
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 03:08 AM
Maybe try cleaning your canister once a month instead of every 2 - 3 months

Leanne