PDA

View Full Version : Unknown condition with my blue discus

tgf
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 08:22 AM
Hi all,

About 24 to 36 hours ago I noticed my large discus (possibly blue turquoise) has developed a condition where it looks like parts of its flesh on the front of its body above its mouth and eye lines have somehow degraded away and around all of those areas it is very white in colour.

At this stage I've been advised Melafix should be able to help but I am hoping it's nothing more serious such as hole-in-the-head or something else I can't think of at this stage.

Other than what I have just described, the discus fish is in a tank approximately 720 litres in size which has 4 or so other discus in there along with some clown loaches, neon tetra's and a couple of bristlenose catfish.

No other fish in the tank have or are currently exhibiting any symptoms of anything being wrong with their bodies, all of the fish seem to be eating well and eating enough food. I feed them a mix of tropical flakes, discus dinner and also frozen blood worms.

That's pretty much all the information I can think of for the time being apart from lights on the tank being left on about 12 or so hours per day.

If anyone can offer advice, comments or useful input on what I've done, what I should do or the use of Melafix then it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Sam

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:23 AM
melafix doesnt work on discus, it sounds like hole in the head. do a water change and buy a test kit try and get your NO3 down to below 10. you might have to do large sequential water changes with aged heated water (match up pH and temp)

once you have your water chemistry right you can try treating with metro. before you start remove the clown loaches bristlenoses and tetras or remove the discus and treat in a seperate tank. your target dose is 25mg/L

tgf
Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:47 AM
Unfortunately it looks like whatever my fish had, has killed it. Woke up to find it dead in the tank this morning.

What exactly is metro and where can I get it?

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:44 PM
Sorry to hear that mate. Metro is an antibiotic which you would need to obtain from your vet.