PDA

View Full Version : DP DECEMBER PROMOTION

Discus Planetarium
Sat Jan 05, 2013, 11:33 PM
Today will be the last day for the December promotion for the penang eruption i am still taking orders till the end of the day,i would like to thank you all who have taken up this special offer,i still have penang eruptions,super eruptions,eruption leopards, classic leopards and many other strains in stock..

Duckess
Sat Jan 05, 2013, 11:46 PM
Happy new year dp ;) what a great offer the eruption I received free with my order was stunning

Discus Planetarium
Sun Jan 06, 2013, 02:17 AM
happy new year to you to duckess,yes it is a good promotion FREE PENANGS not many people would offer a $300 fish for free and the 30 odd penangs i got in cost me alot but im here to help as many people with good quality fish, maby another time i will do another promotion..
If i do another promotion the same what strains would you all like me to do, it will only be one strain of fish would just like your thoughts...DP..

Duckess
Sun Jan 06, 2013, 02:29 AM
Anything for free is always a bonus ;) but I'd love some big Marlboro reds

Discus Planetarium
Sun Jan 06, 2013, 02:40 AM
how about some 25cm rose reds i have them in stock lol..
take all 6 for $1200 now thats a deal...

Duckess
Sun Jan 06, 2013, 03:22 AM
Yeah they were stunners , to bad I'm building my first home and need money :(

clarkey
Sun Jan 06, 2013, 04:02 AM
Too bad I don't have the tank set up and ready to go!

axl
Wed Jan 09, 2013, 06:07 AM
what are you stock levels of eurption and super eurption? Whats deals you got going on at the moment?. How would i get fish to horsham? 3 hours from Melbourne? Any pics also

Cheers axl

michaelz101
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 12:42 AM
Hi DP,

Could you explain to me there is a major price discrepancy between Us and Australia?

Kenny from SD also imports Forrest discus to America but his prices seem much cheaper.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?102960-JAN-2013-Forrest-shipment-Actual-Tank-Pics-(SOLD-OUT)

Sorry not having a go at you, just want to know generally why it costs more for us down under.

Regards
Michael

Duckess
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 01:22 AM
All discus in the states are way cheaper , deal with it lol

BobbyBruce
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 02:54 AM
Hi Duckess,

Not sure why we should have to deal with it. Obviously the unit cost and transport costs can't be that much different especially with the Aussie $ running at a significantly better rate than the US variety.

Generally I am much more accepting of a higher cost if it is justified, ie, Q costs, power, water costs, etc. but please, give us a reason beyond the ability of dealers to line their pockets.

Regards,

Bob

Duckess
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 03:22 AM
Well for starters America has 300 million people , we have 20 , there isn't many people over here who are into discus most likely due to big prices and high maintenance but if you love it, want it you will buy it . I'm sure any importers will explain the increasing prices of quarantine facilities and all the other bullcrap they go through to get these great fish for us ;) thanks guys . Yeah they make a profit so does every business at the end of the day if your not happy with the price dont pay it , go live in the states where you can buy a mansion for 200k also (shall we start complaining to the property market cuz their houses are cheaper ???

michaelz101
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 03:50 AM
Sorry don't mean to jeer anyone up.

Making a profit is fine, but the price comparison is ridiculous here we are talking 4-5 times for some fish.

Given what Bob said it can't be much different in terms of freight, quarantine, paper registration I would think.

Other fish price are pretty similar between the two countries, except discus. Either fish shops maximise the profit margin here in australia due to sheer beauty of this fish, or there is something else i am missing here.

If Kenny can sale a 5inch penang eruption for $75 and still make a profit, we can pick up our game.

Duckess
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 04:40 AM
Simple solution you import them and sell them to us for that price :))) ill have my wallet ready

michaelz101
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 05:01 AM
I wouldn't have the skills to do that. But making my hobby into a business takes the fun out of it. But sooner or later, someone will compete and prices will become more comparative to that of america i think. Might take 5-10 years but we will see.

talking about importing yourself,its definitly possible.i remember reading a thread in SD that tells you everything from start to end. Just need to understand how to fill out those tedious papers.... And quarantine measures.

Discus Planetarium
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 06:41 AM
Ok people it is a good question but i dont need to explan to you all why the price is different but i will give you an example,
kenny's buying price would be much better than mine as he orders every month or sometimes twice a month,i have all import fees to pay aqis and cargo clear, QT fees paying for fish and shipping my bank fees (money transfer) etc the list goes on and on and this is just to get the fish here then i have my power bills my water bill food my time medaction ect, in the usa by law they dont need to have QT rooms and Kenny doesnt you can just order fish from oversea and bring them into the usa.
At the end of the day Duckess is right if your not happy with the price of my fish the are many other places that sell discus so you can shop around.
I hope you all understand...DP..

swampy1972
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 06:46 AM
Well for starters America has 300 million people , we have 20 , there isn't many people over here who are into discus most likely due to big prices and high maintenance but if you love it, want it you will buy it . I'm sure any importers will explain the increasing prices of quarantine facilities and all the other bullcrap they go through to get these great fish for us ;) thanks guys . Yeah they make a profit so does every business at the end of the day if your not happy with the price dont pay it , go live in the states where you can buy a mansion for 200k also (shall we start complaining to the property market cuz their houses are cheaper ???

Nice way to welcome a new comer to the forum Duckess... :roll:

I would have thought it was a pretty reasonable question from someone not familliar with the cost associated with importing fish ot Aust..

A simple explanantion without the attitude would go a long way to ensuring new forum members stick around.

chopper
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 08:02 AM
Well said swampy, sad to say but this is not the only forum this guy has been annoying people on

Duckess
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 08:14 AM
Whatever swamprat more like old mate shouldn't join a forum and post straight on an importers advertisement that his prices are really high and post a link to another country showing the huge quote unquote mark up , I think that's disrespectful so EADC you and chopper

swifto
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 08:24 AM
When I worked in retail our whole price was half the cost of the marked priced.So a discus selling for $400 would cost the importer (whom ever) $200 landed.If that makes sense.

michaelz101
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 09:11 AM
Thanks guys for all your feedback, DP I think you are doing a great job and I should of said this isnt directed at you, there are some shops here that sell for way more than you do Ie Sydney Discus World.

I think Swampy is right that I just want to understand the process and the costs associated to it.

on the off topic,

I think everyone should check this guy out. You wont regret it. :)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47667

Discus Planetarium
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 09:46 AM
Michaelz101 Thats fine mate you asked a good question people think its easy to import fish and dry goods there are alot of cost involved i only want quality discus thats why i use Forrest,i can get small discus for $1.80-$2 but do you think people would want them NO.
Its not just about the sale with me its also the service i provide 24hrs if you come home at 3am and find your fish black and upside down my customers can call me asap and if i can help them out with advise or medacation i will i am here to help.You cannot call your aquarium shop at 3am.

turquoisegirl1
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 10:46 AM
it isnt just that the fish cost more to import - its the store rental, the electricity to run the heaters and pumps and filters in the tanks, the discus that are lost time to time in transit/instore, the feeds and maintenance that go into the care of the fish until sold - the store owners don't make 50, 100 or 200 bucks profit if thats the actual markup - see the big picture, and being one of the younger forum members here, would everyone please start to act their age.
a warm welcome to any new members on this post - we're here to help each, offer and heed advice, and just generally act as friends and fellow hobbyists. nothing else.

Rossco
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 11:17 AM
The price differance is huge, but i am guessing Kenny sells a bucket load of discus, he sells alot for cheap prices. If he sold them at the price as " " Kenny would not be buying in bulk nor selling in bulk.

To pay or not to pay is up you/me/us the consumer.. " shop around "

swampy1972
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 12:21 PM
Whatever swamprat more like old mate shouldn't join a forum and post straight on an importers advertisement that his prices are really high and post a link to another country showing the huge quote unquote mark up , I think that's disrespectful so EADC you and chopper

You've been on this forum for 5min Duckess, so get some time up or take your rude and arrogant opinions elsewhere.

It's tough talking keyboard bullies like yourself that make the net a crap place.

Every member, regardless of how junior, is entitled to ask a question and should not have to expect to be attacked.

Merrilyn
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 01:22 PM
Okay, play nicely please folks.

This is a difficult question for a lot of people new to discus to understand. The cost of importing one unit into Australia is much greater than into the US. In the US they are ordering in bulk, hence the price per unit is much less. They don't have to quarantine their fish, another huge cost difference between the two countries. The number of fish lost during shipping and quarantine is another added expense which does not apply in USA, plus our wages here are higher.

Add all that together, and retailers here are paying way more for a single fish than the retailers are in the US.

I think this question has been fully answered. Any more comments on this subject will be removed from this post.

Now back to the main subject of this post, the beautiful fish imported by Discus Planetarium :)

stevos
Sun Jan 20, 2013, 07:48 PM
The way I see it is if you want quality fish quality service you will pay for it and when you look at what discus sell at these sizes in aus they are not over priced at all.
I have purchased off Anthony service was fantastic fish are great I've had Qs after the purchase and Anthony was only to happy to help we're else do you get service like that?

Cheers Shane