PDA

View Full Version : Siamesse Fighters with Discus

axl
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 01:04 AM
Hi,
can you have a siamesse fighter in the same tank as the discus or will the discus eat it
cheers tim

DR.V
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 02:15 AM
dont siamesse fighter live in cold water ???

kkiu
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 02:17 AM
I believe they are tropical fish as well. But maybe not as warm as what discus can tolerate

Proteus
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 03:20 AM
They love the same water conditions

goldenpigeon
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 07:58 AM
i have 3 in my 6ft with discus and tetras ect and they are fine. dont put more than 1 in thoagh cause they ll kill eachother. i have heaps of plants thoagh.

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 01:50 PM
You can keep the females together. They might be a bit scrappy toward each other, so just make sure there are plenty of plants for them to hide behind. Some of the females are just as nicely coloured as the males. Unfortunately you can't keep two males together in the same tank. They will fight constantly.

As proteus said, they like the same water conditions as discus, and can quite happily share the same tank. Your discus will leave them alone.

A lot of people believe they are quite happy to live in the tiny unheated containers that aquarium shops display them in. But the truth is, they are a tropical fish, and need a heated container and room to swim if they are to thrive.

Benno
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:20 AM
Ive seen males fighters togetehr with discus on may occasions. It looks pretty nice as well. Benno

DiscusMad
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 02:15 PM
I have to move my blue rams out of the main tank and put my fighter back in
its getting colder now and he is living in a 50L bucket in the back yard lol

lesley
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 06:05 AM
I ws thinking of putting my fighter in with the discus. I had him in a large glass bowl on top of another planted tank and he decided to jump into the 4' planted which was running at about 30 degrees because two Uarus I had bought had come down with Ich. We watched him closely for a week or so and he seemed quite happy so we left him there. But now the Uarus are growing and have eaten nearly all the plants that he used to love.

If you have more than one fighter in a 6' do they just square off and then retreat to shelter??? I would like two but don't want them shredding each other.

Lesley

goldenpigeon
Sun Apr 10, 2005, 06:43 AM
i have had 2 males in there and they have squared off but 1 got old and died. i currently have 1 male and 2 females in there but it is very important to have many refuges and plants and keep a good eye on them. if it is not working they need to be separated.