PDA

View Full Version : Wtb - bulkheads (syd)

anponee
Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:50 AM
Does anyone have or can tell me where up get some bulkheads???

Thanks!

Ray.M
Thu Nov 15, 2012, 02:29 PM
Try St George Landscaping Kogarah NSW.

parasite
Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:40 PM
Can also try Bunnings ......

HTH

joller
Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:55 PM
make sure you ask for 'poly tank fittings' when you ask for bulkheads you'll get a blank look

anponee
Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:37 PM
Tried bunnings...

Asked for bulkheads and the guy automatically said "no, we don't stock them"

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:42 PM
bunnings stock them they are in then section with the water tank fittings and leaf traps etc.

the smallest size they have is 25mm. bunnings type bulkheads have 2 washers whereas the aquarium shop ones only have 1 also the bunnings bulkheads have an internal thread.

most bunnings staff have the cognitive ability of a parsnip you'll have to look for yourself.

anponee
Fri Nov 16, 2012, 02:20 AM
bunnings stock them they are in then section with the water tank fittings and leaf traps etc.

the smallest size they have is 25mm. bunnings type bulkheads have 2 washers whereas the aquarium shop ones only have 1 also the bunnings bulkheads have an internal thread.

most bunnings staff have the cognitive ability of a parsnip you'll have to look for yourself.

Thanks for that!!!

So With what you said, I'd bunnings type better or aquarium?

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 16, 2012, 02:41 AM
i use both depending on the job, bunnings seal better and i believe will last longer, that are also cheaper.

they have an internal thread which is good and bad,

good: because its hard to remove the pipes by accident, using tape and thread you ALWAYS get a water tight seal (no leaks)

bad: because you have to buy a slip to thread pvc adapter and glue + threadtape the lot together (but you should be gluing any permenant fixture anyway to stop leaks)

fish shop ones are fast to put together and have slip in fittings (tollerances sometimes arn't too good though).

They have a tendency to loosen if your constantly pumping standpipes (like me) and the seal (on the inside of the tank exposed to water) seems to perish over about 5years or so (so you'll have to replace the entice fitting twice a decade)

anponee
Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:13 AM
Ok... Thanks!!!

Seems bunnings one is more of a hassle but will last...

Off to bunnings I go....

Thanks guys...