PDA

View Full Version : Black spots

DR.V
Wed Apr 06, 2005, 12:29 PM
I bought 2 red melons 2 months ago , with no black spots around the body
very nice and clean . But recently one of them getting lots of little black spots on the face , looking rusty . Is there any way to make them dissapear ?? Its not a disease

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 06, 2005, 12:38 PM
It's normal dark pigment that develops in a lot of discus as they mature, due to pigeon blood in the breeding.

There is some talk that it can be reduced by keeping them in a tank with a light background, and light substrate, but I have never personally seen any evidence of this.

DR.V
Wed Apr 06, 2005, 12:58 PM
thanks ladyred
I tried using UV sterilizer but it seems to increase fish's appetite

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 06, 2005, 01:11 PM
As much as I like UV's and use them on all my tanks, I have never seen seen them remove pigeon blood spots. I know some people don't like the spots, but I don't mind them. To me, they just add to the beauty of the fish.

DR.V
Wed Apr 06, 2005, 01:45 PM
Thx for the info ^^

leanne31
Thu Apr 07, 2005, 05:04 AM
Hi dr.v I have a pigeon blood that is covered in peppering and my red melon like yours has some appearing on his nose theres nothing you can do about it its just in there genes some have them and some dont it just adds to their character. :lol:

Leanne

the_oracle
Fri Apr 08, 2005, 03:19 PM
Melons originated from pigeons and it is common to see those pepperings too. It's in their genes but it varies individually. Some are more obviuos while others are not. Some doesn't show it when they're small but became more prominent when they grow bigger. Some breeders cross it a few times to get a cleaner strain but it's really time consuming. So, I guess, lets just appreciate them whatever they turn out to be..........