PDA

View Full Version : New canister

Woodsie
Tue Nov 06, 2012, 07:03 AM
This prolly seems like a really dumb question but here it goes. I'm getting my new tank this week along with a new, larger canister filter. If I run that new canister in my old tank along with the existing old canister filters
1. How long will it take before its got enough bacteria to function properly?
and
2. Will it adversely effect the water quality in my old tank?
TIA

joller
Tue Nov 06, 2012, 10:17 AM
along with running both for a week, put some of the media from the established filter in the new one, and when you set up the new tank fill it with water from the old tank

overkill maybe but guaranteed to do a good job

joel.

ILLUSN
Tue Nov 06, 2012, 10:30 AM
id pop a bit of media from the old filter into the new filter as well. if you do this it should be mature in a week or so depending on the biolad of your existing tank.

if you run it with just new media it will take ~2 weeks to fully cycle.

Woodsie
Fri Nov 09, 2012, 02:23 AM
Thanks guys. Got that going but holy cow the current that it puts through the water in intense. Now I am starting to panic that I bought to big a canister for my new tank. Its 5 ft x 2.5 x 2.5 and the filter is an Aqua One Nautilus 2700 Aquarium Canister filter. Will angling the spray bar against the glass cut down the current enough or have I made a massive mistake?

joller
Fri Nov 09, 2012, 02:59 AM
yeah you can do that, it may stir up the substrate if its pointed downwards

Nev
Fri Nov 09, 2012, 03:18 AM
Make up a spray bar or fit a "tee" piece to divide the flow.

parasite
Fri Nov 09, 2012, 05:56 AM
Or make a spray bar with larger diameter pipe and or make the holes larger.

Woodsie
Fri Nov 09, 2012, 06:12 AM
Its bare bottom so substrate isn't an issue. Thanks guys I am having a blonde day the thought of making the holes larger hadn't even passed through my brain.

swifto
Fri Nov 09, 2012, 10:06 AM
Don't worry I had a eheim 2180 running on a 300ltr 5ft tank with no spray bar ,it was ok,tank never looked so clear.

Woodsie
Sat Nov 10, 2012, 03:30 AM
All set just have to wait now. Somehow I wound up with three goldfish in there. So when its done cycling I now have to buy a small aquarium for them or the kids will cry :lol:

Woodsie
Sun Nov 18, 2012, 09:28 PM
Moved everyone into the new tank on the weekend