PDA

View Full Version : Total eradication of pathogens

fatdiscus
Sun Oct 28, 2012, 07:01 AM
Hi,
Having had the pleasure of dealing with outbreaks of worms and flukes, I've decided to tear everything down, sterilize, and start all over (not a big deal, was planning on setting up a proper fishroom anyway).

My plan was to quarantine all incoming fish and treat with Prazi, Levi and Potassium to clean them up prior to releasing into fishroom.

Is it possible to achieve 100% removal of worms, flukes and hex from live fish? Or is this unrealistic, and a few will inevitably survive to reinfect other fish at vary levels.

Let me know your thoughts,
Cheers,
Fatty.

ILLUSN
Sun Oct 28, 2012, 10:57 PM
its unrealestic, they can come in the sorce water, as cysts in food. best practice is what you've done.

Dont forget that like us fish evolved with paracites aws part of the normal enviroment, in many cases they are important for digestion. Hence using nematodes as treatement for people with Coeliac disease.

you want keep the fish healthy so they can balance the paracites as well keep conditions ideal so that paracites dont overpopulate.

fatdiscus
Tue Nov 06, 2012, 05:22 AM
Thanks Illusn, guess I won't be too annoyed if I have to re-medicate every so often.

Dunno if it's worth starting a new thread for this; I've got a few miscellaneous questions

1.Anyone care to explain the life cycle of gill flukes, tape worms and nematodes? How often should I be treating; have heard different times- seems everyone has their own regime.

2. Bathing the fish in Potassium- will this kill all external parasites? If so, then 1x treatment should clean up the fish, and if you transfer into new/sterilized tank- then it should be problem solved? Can't be that simple, right? Even if you have to retreat in a weeks time to kill off newly hatched eggs.

3. Anyone know where I can get Prazi powder?

Cheers

ILLUSN
Tue Nov 06, 2012, 10:35 AM
1. gill fukes liecycle is 4-5 days at 30C, nematodes ~2-4 weeks ans tapeworms 5-7days @ 30C
you treat depending on the paracite if treating gill fluke with prazi or PP repeat at 5 days, if treating tape worm treat at 7 days if treating nematode treat at 2-4 weeks.

2. it will kill adult flukes and body paracites only it will not kill cysts, you need to retreat to get the newly hatched cysts.

3. no just buy tablets and crush them.