PDA

View Full Version : hemorrhagic septicemia

joller
Sat Oct 20, 2012, 06:49 AM
hello everyone

as you can see i'm new here and have been reading through what i think is easily the best fish health board of any forum i've been on, and just by following links i stumbled across information on septicemia which was unrelated to what i was actually reading about.

unfortunately its something i've noticed on some of my fish (redness at the base of fins)

has anyone here delt with this issue before? most info i can find points me in the direction of general antibiotics which would be expencive or near impossible for me to get

what are my options?
also i have a 9W 1440LPH uv unit at my disposal if it will help, the tank is 440L

thanks, joel.

ILLUSN
Sat Oct 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
its wiped out over 2000 fish for me in 3 seperate instances. In all cases it happened when new fish entered my fish room.

What worked well to control it was

big water change (90% temp and ph matched)
tripple sulfa at 1 tablet/20L
tetracycline at 1 tablet/40L
no feeding
extra airation

water changes were done each night, dead fish were removed 3x a day. Water changes were 50% and neds were redosed with each change (ie 1tab tripple sulfa and tetracycline/ 40L 80L respectivly)
losses were huge and meds cost a fortune.

joller
Sat Oct 20, 2012, 11:34 AM
i havn't lost any fish but noticed the redness about a week ago... no new stock entered the tank in probably 1-2 months, since noticing the redness i have added extra stock though

joller
Sun Oct 21, 2012, 08:16 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img196/1963/p1040897l.jpg

this is a poor example of what i'm talking about, see the redness towards the back at the base of the dorsal, its only slight on this fish but if i'll try and get a better photo

joel.

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:41 AM
That's not septicemia, I've seen many angels get that from time to time increasing temp to 28c and upping water changes makes it go away.

joller
Mon Oct 22, 2012, 09:23 AM
thanks, and yeah its not a good shot, some angels show it more than others that one was just the clearest, sometimes the red will go all the way along the base of the anal fin, i've started on 30% changes every 1 or 2 days, will keep an eye on temp also

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 23, 2012, 12:17 AM
if it were septecemia there would be blood dripping from the rays of the fins and tail