PDA

View Full Version : Newbie saying hello

MartF
Wed Oct 17, 2012, 12:05 PM
Hi All,

I've been keeping tropicals and marines including breeding Seahorses on and off for about 40 years. Don't have any marines now though.

I've set up a nice heavily planted tropical tank with Co2 injection this year stocked with mainly Tetras and a pair of Rams but it's only 96ltrs.

Looking at moving soon and when we do I'm allowed a much larger tank, thinking of around 240ltrs or maybe even a little bigger.

The plan then is start with Discus - they have to be the most gorgeous fish ever! I've never had discus before so this will be a new venture and I expect I'll be asking lots of questions.

Been reading up and I think the first problem I'm likely to encounter is the VERY hard water we have here in Lincolnshire, it's been described as 'liquid rock'!

Thanks.

Martin.

Hooked
Tue Oct 23, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hi Martin,

Welcome mate! Your in the right place for getting your Discus questions answered. They are a good crew here. All the best with the move... never much fun moving, but you do have the new set up to look forward to.

Cheers

Ghoti
Tue Oct 23, 2012, 10:00 PM
Tank looks great. Will you be going planted our baste bottom for your discus tank?

Welcome!

Cheers,
Scott

MartF
Wed Oct 31, 2012, 11:15 PM
Hi,

Think the move will be a little way off yet, but in the meantime I've just picked up a 190lte to upgrade my current tank. Hoping to get a 350 or even 450ltr when we eventually move.

I was hoping to continue with a planted tank as I think it looks more natural, but then again I know very little about Discus at the moment except they need soft water and ours is very hard! What do you think is the hardest I could get away with - not too worried about breeding them.

No doubt it will mean RO water. We'll see, like I say it could be a little while yet.