PDA

View Full Version : What wormer should I use?

broadfoot
Tue Oct 09, 2012, 05:53 AM
My discus have been eating well, but I've never seen them poo (I've owned them for two weeks). Today I saw a white segmented poo-shaped/sized thing floating around the aquarium and it seems to be like the worm segments that people have described.

What wormer should I use?

Levamisole, Prazi or Huey Hung H4?

Thanks

Nev
Tue Oct 09, 2012, 06:13 AM
Fluke and tapeworm tablets by the sounds of it.

broadfoot
Tue Oct 09, 2012, 06:45 AM
So that means treat with Prazi right? This is my first time worming.

broadfoot
Wed Oct 10, 2012, 06:13 AM
I've started Prazi treatment today. The instructions on the bottle I bought say leave the medication in there for 48 hrs.
My question is can I feed them during this time?

If I feed beefheart I'd need to siphon out leftovers, I just wouldn't replace it.

broadfoot
Thu Oct 11, 2012, 11:39 AM
Well, I'm 30hrs into the Prazi treatment, I've also added some epsom salts at 1tbsp/10gal. I still haven't seen the fish pass any worms or poo yet.

They seem healthy to me, happy to eat but I never see them poo!

ILLUSN
Thu Oct 11, 2012, 08:58 PM
prazi is correct if you see segmented worms in poo. best treatment is
do a water change
add prazi
wait 48 hours and then do another water change with a good gravel vac and wipe down of all surfaces.
repeat in 1 week.

your fish must be passing something, just cause you dont see them do it doesnt mean they arnt.

broadfoot
Thu Oct 11, 2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks Illusn, the first 48hr period will be finished today. I'm hoping this means the prazi was an unnecessary but harmless treatment and they're just healthily doing stealth-poos.

ILLUSN
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 06:35 AM
Metro would be te next way to go especially if you think its spironucleus for best treatment move all the fish to a bare bottom tank, keep he light off and the temp at 30C.

broadfoot
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks again.

It's already bare bottom, and already 30C. Is it worth pulling the bit of goldvine out?

phil56
Mon Oct 15, 2012, 01:50 AM
The only way you will know what treatment to use is to obtain the white fish poo,best taken while still attached to the fish than examine under a microscope.once you know what worm or worms are present you can treat the following.Tape worms,Prazie.Hex,Metro. Round worm,Panacure. etc. Unfortunately each type of worm usually requires a different medication to work.