PDA

View Full Version : Help

fishy846
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 05:14 AM
i have a 10 gallon tank how many discus cen i have and do thay grow fast cose i will get a new tank and seand me an message or you cen repy normly

kkiu
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 06:05 AM
The supposed rule of thumb is 1 discus/10gallons.
But I dont even follow this myself.

If you are going to get a new tank, might as well wait for the new one, cycle it and then get the discus.
I dont think its recommended to keep discus in such a small tank as you mentioned.

leanne31
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 06:32 AM
If your thinking on buying adults only about 1 would be alright in there but if you are going to get babies - juveniles ytou could maybe put 3 in there but not for very long though and you'll have to do maybe small wc everyday and have good filtration. But if you're going to get another tank anyway I agree with kkiu why dont you wait antil you can get that then cycle and then buy the discus

Leanne

Trebs
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 06:59 AM
Don't even try discus unless you have at least a 55gal (standard 4ft). Anything smaller and it's just not workable (IMHO).

Dave76
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 08:34 AM
I think it would be rather difficult keeping stable water conditions in a 10 gal - I definately wouldn't recommend anything less than a 50gal like Trebs says.

kalebjarrod
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 08:50 AM
1 adult per 10 gallon, but who wants to keep one adult

get a bigger tank, you'll thank us for the stability of it!

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 12:58 PM
Hi fishy846, and welcome to the forum. I wouldnt try to keep discus in a ten gallon. It will be too difficult to keep the water conditions stable, and these guys really need clean stable water conditions. That is much easier to manage in a larger tank.