PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here

finloveromg
Fri Aug 17, 2012, 07:09 PM
Hello to all.....i am new to the discus forum and new to discus i do not have any at the time but have always loved them and always wanted them...a little about my experience before we get started i currentley have 2 135 gallon tanks with 1 oscar 12" in each tank (1 is albino, 1 is red) and each oscar has tank mates that are 5 male convicts and 1 red tail shark....i also have two 55 gallon tanks 1 tank houses 2 bala sharks 7", 1 veil angel 8", 4 male platies, and 1 blue betta, the other tank houses 1 red oscar 12" and 1 male convict. I also have 2 40 gallons with 1 baby (5" & 3") red ear sliders in each tank. I live in the country so yes i have cattle, horses, dogs, & cats....lol ok thats me. I am going to start from very begining with discus but what i need to know is what size tank full when full grown would be the absolute best for 2 discus and no i do not want to breed at all ever never..lol...and i think i may be able to get the rest of the info i need from the postings already here also i only use canister filtration is this to much of a current for these fish? thanks for any and all info......and HELLO again :D

ILLUSN
Sat Aug 18, 2012, 05:00 AM
discus are a chiclid so they can get a little aggro at times, they are best kept in groups of 5 or more to share the aggro around.

the minimum volume for an adult discus is 40-50L (10gal) so the smallest size tank you can go is 200-250L (50-60gal) but a 300L (80 gal) would be better.