PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Hopkinsville, KY

Bob Daniel
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 01:52 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Bob Daniel and I am returning to discus after an absence from the hobby for over 15 years.

My first discus was a deformed little brown discus. After getting him home and examining him closely, I realiszed he had no tail!! I went from that little fish to a full blown hatchery over the next few years. We had great success and the hobby enabled my now ex wife to travel extensively for discus.

I took a position in KY with my employer in 1993 and spent the next six months relocating and setting up a new hatchery. My pride and joy were some second generation cobalts bred from stock I imported from Manfred Gobel. Unfortunately all was lost in a house fire in late 1995.

I had a new home built and we tried again, using fish imported from Malasia and Singapore after the Aquarama. Then I was diagnosed with Polycyctic Kidney Disease and began dialysis. I then found myself facing divorce and the hatchery left with the ex.

Today I am on dialysis and miss the fish. I got the okay from the new wife to get a 75g tank and a half dozen discus. Mike Beals at Central Ohio discus has agreed to send me 6 of his Reflection D's bred in Asia. These are 3 inchers and have wonderful shape and color based on all I can determine.

I am very excited. I am repainting the stand and hood and acquiring a selection of live foods to cultivate. White worms and red worms and probably a daphnia magna culture are ordered. I have a Hydro Sponge V cycling and a Penguin 400 on the side and a small double sponge filter coming.

Dawn told me if I want to get into breeding again, we'll need a different house. This one has no room for a full blown hatchery and building one is out of the question.

But it will be good to feed the fishes again and watch them grow. Thank you for allowing me to become a member of this forum!

Here's Mike's web site: http://www.centralohiodiscus.com/ for those interested.

Hooked
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 05:13 AM
Hi Bob!

Welcome to the site. It will be great to get your input, especially when it comes to the breeding side of things. Hopefully that dialysis isn't to much of a drag these days. Its definitely a rewarding hobby and I give you credit for sticking with it through the hardships. All the very best mate,

Cheers