PDA

View Full Version : Any significance to the two different Eheim 2213 Classics?

shrimper
Mon Aug 13, 2012, 07:33 AM
Is there are any significance to the two different versions in the hardware design and reliability?

I bought one of each last month, I realise that one comes with sponges/foam and the other with ceramic/foam media.

But when I opened it up it surprised me that the actual design and material of the filter itself was different.

I need to buy another one in month, so I was wondering should i buy the older black top design or the newer green top design?

media doesn't matter to me that much.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww196/ipv6ready/Eheim-2213-Classic-Base-Model-external-filter.jpg

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww196/ipv6ready/Eheim-2213.jpg

ILLUSN
Mon Aug 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
cant see any the new one seems to quote media volume as 3L where as the old counts canister volume as 3.5L.

you loose a abit with the media chamber, if you throw the media chamber away theres no reason you cant get 3.5L of media into a 2213

shrimper
Mon Aug 13, 2012, 02:06 PM
have a look at he design of the outlet it has changed?

I was wondering if the new design improved noise reduction / reliability or should I stick to the old design?

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 14, 2012, 01:17 AM
looks like the cover has changed, i bet the moter and impeller and all internals are the same, i even bet the canister body is interchangable.

remember underneath the cover is the actuall pump housing. a few of my classics have partially missing covers (cracked or broken) they all work fine.

The angled outlet might be better for running hoses out of cabinets or around awkward installs if your short on room. the strait up outlet might be better if you need to place the filter directly under the output hose in the tank.

I dont think there's any signifcant diffrence. my oldest 2213 is from 1985 (i think could be 1984) and still runs great no noise at all but its a west german made unit with brass clips and the painfull o ring.