View Full Version : White Spot - Need experience/help please?

Roryland
Sat Jul 14, 2012, 11:07 AM
Hey guys,

Pretty guttered! I am pretty sure 5/10 cardinals are showing signs of white spot.
I only got my new Discus 2 weeks ago and now I'm scared its going to pass onto them!!
Tried to read up as much as I could but I'm still at a loss.
As most of you know my tank is 6x2x2 and I've been told its going to be to expensive to medicate it,price doesnt really phase me If I can eradicate it properly.

Do I try and get the cardinals out into a hospital tank and treat them or is it too late?
Or do I just raise the temp and treat the 6ft tank?
The tank is currently sitting at 28-29deg.

I have never had any experience with fish diseases etc at all and would prefer experienced help rather than doing something drastic!!
I am kind of at a loss and really worried about my discus getting it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

ILLUSN
Sat Jul 14, 2012, 11:19 AM
Whitespot is no big deal it's easy to fix.

Get your tank to 30c you can even go as high as 32c
Add salt at 1tbs/ 20L if your worried about stress add 2tsp/20l now and another 1 tsp/20l in the morning.

If you can get some whitespot meds. My personal choice is protozin it is safe on tetras at the dose on the bottle.

After 2 weeks you can drop the temp by 1c a day till your back at 28-29

Roryland
Sat Jul 14, 2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks so much mate.

What type of salt do I get,Aquarium Salts?

I will go out and get everything today.

Really appreciate you helping me out.

mawhins
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 03:33 AM
If you can't wait for a response from illusn and you don't mid paying for aquarium salt go for that. I've heard you can just use non iodised table salt but... I wouldnt guarantee that. Doesn't sound like your penny pinching so...

Roryland
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 04:17 AM
Thanks mate,
Yeah I will head out and get some today.

Does aquarium salt mess around with water parameters?
Like do I have to worry about PH or anything?

Thanks for your help guys.

Roryland
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 04:20 AM
So I just add the salt today and tomorrow morning and thats it?

I dont keep dosing I mean.

Ill go see what the LFS has in the way of Meds.

mawhins
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 09:59 AM
The total dose is 1 Tablespoon for every 20litres. Illusn has suggested adding the salt in two batches of a teaspoon for each 20litres if you are worried about stressing the fish. Just makes the change to the fish a little more gradual. I don't believe it messes with the parameters much. I don't know about the effect on plants though if you are treating your main tank. You don't need to keep dosing. You will obviously need to add salt with each water change if you want to keep the salt up to them at the same concentration.

From my understanding, and i'm not confessing any great knowledge here, the salt is really to promote the production of the slime coat which helps fight off the external infections.

So yeah just add the salt and medicate per the instructions, up the temp and cross fingers. Over time you'll water change the salt out of the system once youre fish are all better. Good luck.

mawhins
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 10:32 PM
If you can't wait for a response from illusn and you don't mid paying for aquarium salt go for that. I've heard you can just use non iodised table salt but... I wouldnt guarantee that. Doesn't sound like your penny pinching so...

Roryland
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks mate!

Illusn PM me back.

I think I have it all sorted now.

Ill keep updated on how it goes.

Again I really appreciate your help.