PDA

View Full Version : blue green alge and uv sterilizers

pitchblack
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 05:30 AM
hi all. Ive got a bit of a problem with alge. Its a blue green type and its attacking all of my amazon swords. Doesnt look preety. Would like to hear peoples suggestions on how they have overcome this problem. Also one more thing UV sterilizers do people use them and how effective do you think they are????

kkiu
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 11:53 AM
UV will only help get rid of free floating algae. In other words, it helps in keeping the water crystal clear. I have one and it keeps the water very clear.

It doesnt completely remove all algae or prevent it from growing on surfaces.

Perhaps look into getting some algae eating fishies and reducing the amount of phosphates in the tank.

duck
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 12:13 PM
I haven't BGA yet,had BBA.
What i read is how you get it, Is if your nitrates bottoms out or very low.
To get rid of it the suggested method is up the nitrate and do a 3 day complete blackout,cover the tank so no light get's in.

I haven't had it, so this is what i have read about it.

I don't think there is a fish that eat's it due to it be toxic.

Aurora
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 01:18 PM
Blue Green Algae is not really actually algae at all, it is cyanobacteria. Im not sure that it grows in fish tanks though.

I have a major algae problem in my tank at the moment. I seem to have every kind of algae known to man at the same time. So I have just gone hardcore on them. I did a big clean and tried to get as much of it as possible off all my plants. Then I did about 95% water change, but let the water level stay down for about an hour to dry everything out and make sure they were all dead, then filled it back up again. Then I dosed with these Algacide tablets from the fish store. Then I changed the bulb in my UV, and now I am in day 2 of my 5 day lights out. If this doesnt defeat it for at least a couple of weeks then I have no idea what would.

Algae is the scourge of all mankind..................:)

duck
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 01:53 PM
Yes it can grow in fish tanks.
Try to work out why you got it the first place.
Then rectify the problem.
You can use chemicals and whatever but in the end the chance's are that it will come back.
You end up chasing your tail.

Aurora
Do you know your phosphate levels
Your nitrate levels

jwight
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 03:36 PM
Can you show a picture as I am not sure if its what I have and I can give thoughts on it then.

Ben
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 10:16 PM
Pitchblack, see if you can get some of those otto's, they look like a flying fox. Might help keep the algae down a bit....

kalebjarrod
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 10:20 PM
blackout is the best way to get rid of algee

but algee will come back if you don't treat the problem in the first place

combination of CO2, fert and light is what is needed to really eradicate

Aurora
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 01:12 AM
So more light is better against algae?

I have heard people say you leave your lights on too long, and then I have heard people say you need more light. So which is it?

I think my light currently is just over 1 WPG, but I was thinking of getting some higher watt tubes to make it about 2 WPG. This would help?

I havent checked my nitrate levels, but they arent very bad. I left it 4 weeks without a water change once (no discus in this tank) and the nitrate only got to about 10 ppm. I dont have a test for phosphate. I should get one.

The damage has already been done though. Most of the plants have been stained by the algae, you just cant get it off. Its not like the easy wipe algae in my other tank.

pitchblack
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 11:32 AM
thanks for the feedback guys. I got some larger flying foxes this weekend and their going nuts on the alge. Its like a black sludge that seems to consume my amazon swords. Ive put some alge kill in there so hopeing for a bit of luck???? Might try the black out trick. Does it affect the fish

duck
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 01:18 PM
Without seening any pics and knowing very little about your setup,I'll take a punt here and say you have BGA,let us know in 2 days if it's gone.
First of all do you know your nitrate level,your phosphate levels.

IMO these 2 things can make or break your tank reguardless what you do,If you don't get nitrate,phosphate in balance you will fight a loosing battle.

The amount of lighting you have will affect the rate at which plants use up the nutrients in the tank, If you have 1WPG low maintance,dosing,If you have 3.5WPG then you need a to really be on your toes it's high maintance,dosing plus CO2.

Anything under 2wpg you can getaway without CO2,If you can add CO2 it will be of a benefit even at low levels of lighting.
If you keep your nitrate's to phosphate @10-1 you should be ok, WC should see that what has been taken out by the plants be replenished by theWC,You still need to feed the plants just not as often, Once you get the hang of it,It is easy then you really don't need to test the water.
Light's a generally left on for about 10-12 hours a day

I am no expert on the matter but what i have read and i practice it myself as i had algea after algea until i got it all balanced out.
WPG is a very general rule.
My routine
WC everyweek 50%
Dose phosphate 1ml@WC .5 during the week
Nitrate from discus
Trace .5ml everyday
Iron everyother week@ .5ml
Root tab everyweek
+CO2
Light was 2.2 WPG now I increased it to 3 WPG no idea why i did :?
Tank size 48x18x18 250 liter

DR.V
Sun Apr 03, 2005, 01:42 PM
UV is great ....
maybe reduce your light by 2 hours shorter
get some algae eater, like flying fox and some cat fish

pitchblack
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 05:04 AM
the tank size is 48x24x18. The lights im using are aqua glow 40w light compacity to go down to 130cm in depth. They are 4ft long and i have double lights going . The lights are on for 8 hrs per day. Im going to be running co2 soon when I get the cash. The nitrate levels are at 0 but dont check for phostphate. will be taking a sample into my lfs to get them to give me more of an idea but will let you know of the outcome.