PDA

View Full Version : Headstanding and not eating

mawhins
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 11:05 PM
Hi all. I have a situation here. Adult discus with an obvious swelling on one side, headstanding and not eating. Symptoms started 7 days ago. Have her and partner in own 100 ltr tank have tried Epson salt thinking digestive tract blockage. Saw initial improvement to orientation but short lived. Am now thinking internal parasite. Is metonidazole the treatment to try next?

ILLUSN
Fri Jul 06, 2012, 12:56 AM
metro would be the best drug to try, if the fish is still eating add it to the food at 1g/100g

mawhins
Fri Jul 06, 2012, 02:17 AM
Thanks illusn. Now just need to find some. It seems to go by the product name flagyl is thy right? Is it available over the counter at produce stores?

m.ingram
Fri Jul 06, 2012, 02:45 AM
Its perscription only .You can get it from your doctor or vet.

mawhins
Fri Jul 06, 2012, 07:01 AM
Hmm vet wants $100 for the consultation. I hate to say it but the business case doesn't stack up when I could find a replacement, better quality fish for that and that's not including the cost of meds. Annoying.

If anyone has some spare in Brisbane I'm willing to pay.

Also thinking of trying the H4 med I've been seeing around, marlon sells it I believe.

m.ingram
Fri Jul 06, 2012, 08:17 AM
H4 works a treat use in conjunction with H2

mawhins
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the confirmation on the H4 m.ingram. Have dosed with H2 and H4. She looks more comfortable today. Less dark and less clamped, more swimming.

mawhins
Tue Jul 10, 2012, 07:41 AM
Does anyone know if epsom salt is ok to use while these treatments are in the water? Looking to ease her bloating.

Discus Planetarium
Tue Jul 10, 2012, 08:12 AM
Hmm vet wants $100 for the consultation. I hate to say it but the business case doesn't stack up when I could find a replacement, better quality fish for that and that's not including the cost of meds. Annoying.

If anyone has some spare in Brisbane I'm willing to pay.

Also thinking of trying the H4 med I've been seeing around, marlon sells it I believe.
hi mate if you still need metro i can get them for you and i also have h2 and h4 in stock just let me know thanks...

ILLUSN
Tue Jul 10, 2012, 11:54 AM
epson salts wont hurt its only magnesium sulphate.

if using epson salts you must make sure there is no "aquarium" salt in the water (NaCl) as normal salt reverses the effect of epson salt.

mawhins
Sat Jul 14, 2012, 08:02 AM
Wed - Fri 6th July - Epsom Salt at 1tsp/40litres (insufficient) - Some improvement to orientation and activity, no food offered. Swelling unchanged.
Sat 7th July - H2 and H4, 50% Water chaged - No improvement, dried food offered but not taken (dried food should not have been offered as if bloated this could exacerbate the issue).
Mon 9th July, 50% Water changed
Tues 10th July, 50% Water changed, added 1x 200mg tablet of Metronidazole to 50litres
Friday pm, 50% Water changed, added 1.25 Tablespoons Epsom Salt
Saturday 8am, added 1.25 Tablespoons Epsom Salt - Swelling reduced and bloating noticeably reduced. Increased activity attempted to right itself.
Saturday 12pm, added 1.25 Tablespoons Epsom Salt
Saturday 4:00pm, 50% water changed, 1/2 x 200mg tablet of Metronidazole to 50litres - Suspect issue is bloating due to dried foods and/or lack of fibre. Will continue with Epsom salt and metro.
Saturday 10:30pm, added 1.25 Tablespoons Epsom Salt - no change to condition
Sunday 7:30am, added 1.25 Tablespoons Epsom Salt
Sunday PM, added 1.25 Tablespoons Epsom Salt - light feed of live blackworms. Passed straight through male but no sign of passage on female. Female less clamped, still headstanding, gut swelling reduced. Swelling toward caudal fin still present.

mawhins
Thu Jul 26, 2012, 10:18 PM
Just in case someone reads this thread looking to treat a fish with the same symptoms, she's well on the road to recovery now. Swelling all gone and swimming normally although still has a slight bend at the caudal peduncle. Eating beef heart, sera discus granules and live black worms. If I need to do thus again ill probably just focus on the epsom salt treatment with meto to guard against infection.