PDA

View Full Version : discus laid eggs

Coen
Mon Jun 18, 2012, 08:53 AM
They have laid eggs however they are on the tank glass will the wrigglers be ok?

Coen
Mon Jun 18, 2012, 09:33 AM
Also when should i seperate the discus i know they feed off the parents slim but when should i take them out?

its me !!!
Mon Jun 18, 2012, 11:13 AM
very rare that a pair will get it right 1st time.. as in it mite take few times befor wrigglers get 2 free swimming eating off parents.. not sure about glass guess it would be ok. in case your new 2 this if eggs are fertile they will pretty much stay same color as when laid if they start going white in 24hour there not fertile.. if fertile they should hatch in around 60 hours if its a good batch..... anyways good luck..if u have bit of a read in the breeding part of this forum u should find some good info

Coen
Mon Jun 18, 2012, 11:42 AM
What colour should the eggs be if they are fertile?

its me !!!
Mon Jun 18, 2012, 12:26 PM
should be like a amber yellow kind of colour .. u will know if or when they turn white even if its a good batch at least couple eggs will go white...

Coen
Mon Jun 18, 2012, 08:58 PM
Yeah theres aroud 100 eggs and maybe 10 are white and the others are clear but its early days yet it hasnt been 24 hours yet thanks for the advise though. If hey arent fertile shouldi get rid of them?

BobbyBruce
Mon Jun 18, 2012, 11:18 PM
Hi Coen,

Your spawn will be okay on the glass, generally once they hatch the parents will move the fry to a more secure location if needed. If only a small % of your spawn has gone white it is likely that you have a confirmed male/female combination with a fertile spawn.

If you could tell us a bit more about your setup and any other fish in there you may get some more specific advise about what to do.

Generally the fry are okay as wrigglers but as they become free swimming and move about the tank they become prey for other fish within the tank and yoru filter system may also take out a number of fish.

Good Luck,

Bob