PDA

View Full Version : Sand substrate in a Planted Discus tank?

Klawz
Mon Jun 11, 2012, 12:23 AM
Just wondering what sand people are using in thier planted discus tanks?
Ive read that sand can be too compact for plants roots to grow properly and the sand will struggle to hold nutrients for the plants?

Also have read that the fish will actually benifit from sifting thru the sand to find food encouraging natural behaviour.

Any ideas or experiences would be appreciated. :D

ILLUSN
Mon Jun 11, 2012, 12:31 AM
silica pool filter sand is great, it looks natural and resists compacting very well its about $20 for a 20kg bag from pool shops, just wash it well.

i've also had good results with "washed" sydney sand, but whoever is doing the washing needs to be sacked! give it a good wash before it goes anywhere near your tank.

Klawz
Mon Jun 11, 2012, 01:14 AM
silica pool filter sand is great, it looks natural and resists compacting very well its about $20 for a 20kg bag from pool shops, just wash it well.

i've also had good results with "washed" sydney sand, but whoever is doing the washing needs to be sacked! give it a good wash before it goes anywhere near your tank.

Would you know how much of a layer of this sand i would use?
Would i add any fertilisers to the sand such as root tabs?

swampy1972
Mon Jun 11, 2012, 01:34 AM
I've used the recipe in the this thread in my current tank. I think the number of replies to the thread speaks for itself.
http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/30650-Cheap-Sand-based-CO2-Generating-Sub

I've included my tank thread at the bottom so you can see how it looks. I've since planted pygmy chain sword in the sand, and it's growing at an astonishing rate! My Panda Cories are constantly sifting through the sand and you can see the bubbles of Co2 being released as they form.

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/34303-5ft-Planted-Display/page7

swifto
Mon Jun 11, 2012, 06:07 AM
Thanks 4 the links swampy,I never thought of DIY sub straight will have to keep this in mind for the future as fluorite is xpensive when u buy 56kg of it.
Maybe the mods can make a sticky for DIY sub-straights that people have used and that work, include pics of products used to a full tank shot when finished.

swampy1972
Mon Jun 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
No worries Swifto.

I'm sure there are others out there that work just as well if you do some net trawling.

I went with this particular one because I personally know the guy that developed it and his level of knowledge, I know many others had used it before me with great success and I'd actually seen the tanks of his in person that were using it, and to say the plant growth was "off the charts" would be an understatement!

Add this to the fact that it achieves similar success (if not better) than the expensive commercial soils for virtually nil outlay AND releases Co2 over a prolonged period, and it's a winner every time :wink:

Hooked
Mon Jun 11, 2012, 01:42 PM
Hi Swampy,

Just went through the thread. Very nice set up mate. Good to see we don't have to spend a fortune to get such great results. A lot of time and effort went into that,

Cheers

Ghoti
Mon Jun 11, 2012, 02:14 PM
I've used the recipe in the this thread in my current tank. I think the number of replies to the thread speaks for itself.
http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/30650-Cheap-Sand-based-CO2-Generating-Sub

That is the recipe I am using in two of my tanks - pool sand in the angel tank and play sand in the discus tank and am very happy with the results.

Cheers,
Scott

swampy1972
Mon Jun 11, 2012, 09:31 PM
Hi Swampy,

Just went through the thread. Very nice set up mate. Good to see we don't have to spend a fortune to get such great results. A lot of time and effort went into that,

Cheers

Thanks mate. :wink:

More time than effort really.. With work and moving house, there was little time to dedicate to it in the early stages, so it sat empty for almost a year.

It's nice to have it finished though. Best of all, the Wife 'approves' of the finished product :P

Klawz
Mon Jun 25, 2012, 06:27 AM

That is the recipe I am using in two of my tanks - pool sand in the angel tank and play sand in the discus tank and am very happy with the results.

Cheers,
Scott

Scott, in this post you say you have used play sand for your Discus tank.
Hows your ph?
I set up a little tank with just a pair of kribs just to see how it looked for a Discus tank down the track and ive done a ph test a week later and its at Ph8 or higher. Do you have this issue?

Ghoti
Mon Jun 25, 2012, 01:17 PM
Scott, in this post you say you have used play sand for your Discus tank.
Hows your ph?
I set up a little tank with just a pair of kribs just to see how it looked for a Discus tank down the track and ive done a ph test a week later and its at Ph8 or higher. Do you have this issue?

My water sits on a ph of 6.5 week in, week out. Jumps up a bit after a water change (incoming water ph 7.0) but settles within 24 hours. But under the play sand I have propagating mix, blood & bone, marble chips, plants and driftwood in the tank also.

Cheers,
Scott