PDA

View Full Version : beef kidney in beef heart mix

njslocksmithservice
Sat May 26, 2012, 09:08 PM
After reading a few recipes, I thought i would make my own beef hear mix.
i was thinking of adding some beef kidney to my mix...

I found this info online

Beef kidneys are included within the group of edible organ meats obtained from beef cattle. While not commonly eaten in the United States, much of the world considers them a delicacy, according to the "New York Times." Beef kidneys can be served alone, usually rare or incorporated into other dishes, such as kidney stew or steak and kidney pie, where they provide several important dietary nutrients.

Contents
A 3 oz. serving of beef kidneys weighs 85 g. Around 23 g of this amount is protein. Kidneys are low in fat, with just 4 g or 6 percent of the amount of dietary fat recommended for each day within one serving, with around 1/4 of that amount being saturated fat. The rest of that serving is made of other nutrients and water. Beef kidneys contain no appreciable amount of carbohydrates.

Grass fed beef cattle Get The Facts About Reducing Emissions From Red Meat www.RedMeatGreenFacts.com.au

There are around 135 calories in a 3 oz. serving of beef kidneys. Approximately 25 percent of those calories, or 36 calories total, come from fat. Protein makes up around 99 calories in a 3 oz. serving of kidneys.

Vitamins
Beef kidneys are also a good source of several important vitamins. A single 3 oz. serving contains 21 mcg of vitamin B12 at over 800 percent and 2.5 mg of riboflavin at nearly 200 percent of the required daily amount for the average adult. Other vitamins in lower quantities include 1.3 mg of pantothenic acid at 26 percent, 3.3 mg of niacin for 22 percent, 0.3 mg of vitamin B6 at around 20 percent and 70 mcg of folate at almost 18 percent.

Minerals
You can also obtain several essential minerals from eating beef kidneys. These include 143 mcg of selenium for over 250 percent, about 5 mg of iron for 50 percent, 500 mcg of copper at over 50 percent, 258 mg of phosphorus for over 36 percent and 2.4 mg of zinc delivering around 25 percent of what an average adult needs each day. Smaller quantities of other minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium and manganese, are also available in beef kidneys.

Other Information
A 3 oz. serving of cooked beef kidneys is particularly high in cholesterol, delivering around 600 mg or around 200 percent of the daily recommended amount. There is no significant fiber in beef kidneys.

Has any one ever added kidney to there mix ??

If so some feed back would be much appreciated

kind regards Nathan

Merrilyn
Sun May 27, 2012, 01:30 PM
Hi Nathan, I've used beef liver in my beef heart mix, but never kidney.

I remember eating steak and kidney pie as a kid. Never liked it much, because kidney has a very strong taste.

I think the flavour might be too strong for your fish. Give it a try if you like, but only make up a very small amount in case your fish reject it.

swifto
Mon May 28, 2012, 05:45 AM
Now your making me hungry for some lambs fry,bacon and mash potatoe and gravy with this talk of liver. :lol:

Nev
Mon May 28, 2012, 11:32 AM
My fish are partial to brains and bacon, reckon the mashed spuds would cloud the water.

njslocksmithservice
Tue May 29, 2012, 07:47 AM
Hi merrilyn here is the recipe i was thinking of:

3.5 kilograms of cleaned beef heart with all sinus and fat removed
1 kiogram of beef kidney with all fat removed
1 kilogram of beef liver with sinew removed
2 kilograms of scallops with roe on
1 kilogram of fresh prawn meat.
1 kilogram of salmon
1 kiogram of bream fillet
1 cup lecithin
1 1/2 cup of wheat germ
100 grams of spirulina powder
1 table spoon calcium lactate
4 cups of blanched and very puréed baby spinach.
6 large carrots cooked and cut very fine
1/2 cup of frozen peas
1/2 cup of minced garlic
1/2 cup of tetra color bits
1/2 cup of tetra color tropical flakes
1/2 cup of algae wafers

I will take your advice and make a smaller amount and devide all my ingredients by 4