PDA

View Full Version : New Arrivals

Katie
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 06:57 AM
Ok guys and gals,
I brought home my four new bundles of joy yesterday and after slowly adding water to their bags to them up to the same temperature, they are now in their new home. Its now question time.
I see that they have their stress bars on (because moving house is stressfull). How long until these go? I have offered them some blood worms this afternoon which they ate after I was out of site, and they aren't panting or sitting on the bottom of the tank (in fact they are quite happy to chase my school of cardinals around).
Any suggestions or tips for a first timmer would be greatly appreciated.
Katie
ps, don't laugh at my photo skills, these are my first fishy photos.

Katie
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 07:37 AM
My first ever pictures (I said don't laugh!)
I know they aren't real 'fancy' but I like them (which works out really well because I have to look at them) :D

weird
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 08:54 AM
Sorry no suggestions (except they will settle down eventually except if the bars are semi-permanent as with one of my turqs ... I have never seen him without them just sometimes a little more fading but not much) but just wanted to say beautiful fish and great tank !

sunshinediscus
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 09:28 AM
Very nice Katie, they look like good quality discus to me. They may not look too exotic yet but turks can look as nice as any discus once they grow up. What sort of turk are they?

Rod

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 10:08 AM
They are wonderful photos, and your fish look very happy in their beautiful tank. Give them a few days to settle in, and they'll be eating out of your hand.

Dee
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 10:17 AM
Hi Katie,

Nice fish and great tank, the pics are cool too. :) Where the little guys in a BB tank when you got them ? Sometimes when they are taken from a BB tank to a planted tank it can take a little longer to settle in, especially young discus. They sound like they will be fine, if they are eating and are out exploring.

Cheers,

Dee :)

flukes
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 11:31 AM
Great buy...nice photo's tpp.

Ben
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 11:35 AM
Great tank!
well done!

Katie
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 04:23 AM
I got a bit of a shock today. Three of the four came out to look at me when I gave them their 2 feed today. I sat down to watch them forage once the food had hit the bottom, it was then I noticed something. The clown loach I have was following them around and waiting for them to find food. As soon as they went to eat it he would rush in and goble it it. Granted I knew he was a pig when I got him from my brothers tank, but this is crazy! How are my discus supposed to feed when the loach is letting them do all the work then steal the booty?

Come monday there will be one less fish in my tank. His stealing days are numbered

sunshinediscus
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 07:31 AM
Yeah good move, i've never been happy with clown loaches in a discus tank when ever i tried it. The bigger they get the worse ime.

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 01:46 PM
I agree with Rod, time to send him packing :lol:

weird
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 02:16 PM
Katie send him to me mate, I am a loach fanatic.

Loaches can be greedy feeders, but one loach is not going to eat that much. They are more bark than bite. I had six with 6 discus and even though the loaches came out and feed fanaticly 2 or 3 times a day, I had good growth with the discus.

however if moving the loach is the best solution for you, please move him to a good home ... they are adorable.

Katie
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 09:19 AM
They let me feed them today! They came up to mid water and happily ate the blood worms with me standing with my fingers in the water above them. Ahhh I think I am in love........... :D :D :D
Oh btw Sunshine the label on the tank called them Red Turqs, but I am a bit doubtful on that.

kkiu
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 11:59 AM
Give them some time and im sure they will show their colours.

They are great looking fish, nice shape :)

Katie
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 07:35 AM
They ate out of my fingers today! Can anyone reccomend a good brand of worm tblts? Should I worm them 'just in case'?

leanne31
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 08:05 AM
Hi Katie a good brand is aqua master fluke and worm tablets but if they're not showing any signs of worms I'd just let them settle in for now and worm them in a couple of months and dont worry they look like red turks to me the colour should all form in the middle a bit more when they're adults. Nice looking fish just enjoy for now. :lol:

Leanne

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 04, 2005, 01:07 PM
They do get you in, don't they. Cute little devils. Red turquoise is simply a type of turquoise discus with more intense red colouring. Your's look like red turks to me.