PDA

View Full Version : Great Tank!!

jaybuc
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 04:48 PM
This is the way i want my new tank to look. I love this! What type of plants are those?

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=463

Fishpimpin73
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 06:38 PM
Those are from the Anubias family that have been anchored to some DW.

It is a VERY easy plant to keep.

And they always look stunning when healthy.

flukes
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 12:47 AM
One of the first plants i kept and still a great plant... My bn's used too love attaching too the underside of the leaves...

They will grow in the substrate but the look better on a piece of DW..

jaybuc
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 12:56 AM
I think the bare bottom looks best when done like this...looks so clean

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 10:13 AM
Just shows you can still have a beautiful and exotic tank even without a substrate.

weird
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 01:19 PM
wow jaybuc, I am truly honored by the compliment !

The tank was very easy to setup as you can see.

I have 3 b/b tanks similarly decorated, and my substrate planted tank which I find the most beautiful but it has nothing to due which the substrate just the plants which are anubia and crypts (grafted to rock).

There are a few plant fanatics here, Ryan being one.

If you really like plants, there is a japanese 'artist' that creates the most beautiful tanks I have ever seen ... Kev showed me the book at SLS ... guys help me out here what is his name ?

weird
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 01:42 PM
Just an update on the plants, I got both 6 months ago. The left plant has been moved to a larger tank. The tank shown was a 3 foot grow out tank, which now is the home of bristlenose and loaches (2 of my fav fish along with Discus,Keyholes,Balas,Corys ... infinity.).

But the growth and ease of looking after anubias can be illustrated with these pics, the healthy growth of the plant in the last 6 months.

leanne31
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 10:23 PM
hi dave do you use fertiliser or anything in your tank as I've just bought a similar piece of driftwood as what you have and would like to keep it looking good.

Leanne

Chafule
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 07:44 AM
the Japanese artist is Amano Takashi.. ive been looking at his tanks and trying to imitate them its so hard>.<
well heres a link where he creates something stunning infront of a crowd
http://www.e-aquaria.com/des_amano.html
he has a homepage with some of his famous tanks but i lost the link had something like greentouch in it o.O

weird
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 07:48 AM
Hi Leanne

I keep Seachem Flourish in the fridge, and occasionally dose probably once a month or longer.

The only thing I consistenly do with my tanks is water changes.

Lighting is very important. Some of my tanks consistently do better with the plants and I think it is lighting.

Thanks Chafule

Thanks for the link, the man is a true artist. Very inspiring.

jaybuc
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks Dave! I am kind of stuck in between using a substrate and not using one. How much lighting do you use on your tanks, the ones with out substrate? Also do you use CO2 on any of your tanks?
Thanks

Dee
Fri Apr 01, 2005, 03:13 PM
G'day jaybuc,

Yeah thats a pretty sweet set up Dave has there, im a big fan of BB Tanks with planted driftwood.

Just my 2 cents worth about substrate. I would go BB first and for the first month see how much waste the fish produce, then decide if you want substrate or not. Alot of waste can get trapped in the substrate and it will need regular gravel vacs, which as i found out in my 4x2x2 tank is alot of work :? ... it's alot easier to add substrate than it is to remove, do it slowly though ... as too much comotion will unsettle the fish.

Cheers,

Dee :)

jwight
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 03:03 PM
I also imitate Takashi Amano as well and have got it pretty close, however I do not have enough light at present stage (getting it later this morning). If you can see which one I copy I am doing well.