PDA

View Full Version : medicated food

giorid
Mon Apr 30, 2012, 09:32 AM
Hi Folks,
Just need some quick advice about medicated food to control worms, how often is it fed and for how long, any help will be greatly appreciated, cheers.
PS. does anybody know where I can buy some, thanks.

swifto
Mon Apr 30, 2012, 10:32 AM
Marlons discus has medicated food (beef heart).

Discus Planetarium
Mon Apr 30, 2012, 10:33 AM
Hi I have wormers in stock we ship Aus wide

giorid
Mon Apr 30, 2012, 10:47 AM
Hi swifto, thanks but my discus aren't used to eating beef heart I tried once and they just ignored it, and I don't want them to get used to it by forcing them to eat it, thanks again.
Discus planaterium, what's your food like, thanks.

ILLUSN
Mon Apr 30, 2012, 11:06 AM
best way is to disolve the wormer in water and add that to dry food, add enough dry food to soak up all the liquid.

as for dosage that varies with the med metro is 1g/100g, fed daily for 7-10 days, prazi is 400mg/100g feed daily for 10days

levimenisole i usually pour a dose for the tank into a container, add dry food for the nights feed, give it 5 min then feed the soaked food and pour the rest into the tank.
repeat 3x once every 2 weeks.

giorid
Mon Apr 30, 2012, 02:02 PM
best way is to disolve the wormer in water and add that to dry food, add enough dry food to soak up all the liquid.

as for dosage that varies with the med metro is 1g/100g, fed daily for 7-10 days, prazi is 400mg/100g feed daily for 10days

levimenisole i usually pour a dose for the tank into a container, add dry food for the nights feed, give it 5 min then feed the soaked food and pour the rest into the tank.
repeat 3x once every 2 weeks.

This is great, just what I was looking for, thanks illusn, and my discus thank you too. :D

ILLUSN
Tue May 01, 2012, 01:27 AM
happy to hlp sticking this topic as this questions comes up over and over again.

giorid
Tue May 01, 2012, 03:03 AM
Ps. I thought it was 200mg/100g for prazi, I guess Gerald Bassleer must be wrong, anyhow can the medicated food be fed more than once a day like 3x a day, thanks again.

ILLUSN
Tue May 01, 2012, 11:27 AM
yeah it can be fed more often but there wont be any real benifit.

400mg/100g has always worked for me. but like anything its your call best advice is reserch over and over and learn from your mistakes.

m.ingram
Mon Aug 06, 2012, 06:31 AM
How long will active ingredients last in the medicated foods when stored in the freezer

ILLUSN
Mon Aug 06, 2012, 08:13 AM
so long as the food doesnt thaw they are good for ATLEAST 6 months. if possible grab yourself an old chest freezer, the type that ices up, they use less power and your food STAYS FROZEN

m.ingram
Mon Aug 06, 2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks for that ILLUSN. I have 1 of those old chest freezers i was going to throw it out but i will be using it now.

CharlotteHoffman
Sat Dec 04, 2021, 06:22 AM
How long will active ingredients last in the medicated foods when stored in the freezer

Of course it depends with the kind of food and medicine but more details have to be included on the packaging or instructions form!