PDA

View Full Version : Ideal growth rates??

Klawz
Wed Apr 18, 2012, 12:11 PM
What would be considered ideal growth rates for discus through their whole lives?
Eg 2 months old 3cm, 4 months 5cm, 18 months 18cm+ etc etc?

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 18, 2012, 12:26 PM
you'd want the fish to be 5cm by 3-6 months by 18 months under optimum conditions the best fish should reach 10-12cm and be breeding size.

no many fish reach 18cm I think the giant flora from lucktropical would and a few other strains but 18cm bodylength is a BIG discus

(I'm refering to body length which is mouth to base of tail. ie -tail)

giorid
Wed Apr 18, 2012, 12:28 PM
Sorry to dissappoint you but it's not as simple as that, there are lots of factors that influence their growth eg, genetics, size of tank, water quality, filtration, food quality and quantity, stress ect ect. Your ability as an aquarist also plays a major role, keep researching you never stop learning the more you know about them the better for you and them.

Xerxes
Wed Apr 18, 2012, 08:39 PM
I find that a lot of sellers, even the reputable importers, don't know the exact age of their fish. And, I don't think it's all their fault, since the seller that they are getting their stock from may not be accurate. I'm kinda frustrated by this. I figure that once a juvenile stops growing it's at about the 18 month mark or so? When they first start breeding seems not to be a good indicator of age.

My biggest ones are at about the 10-12 cm range, so they're at about 18 months? I know that there are a lot of factors, but I just kinda wanna get a "birthday" for them so that I can get them a (freeze-dried brine shrimp) cake. =)

Klawz
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 07:17 AM
you'd want the fish to be 5cm by 3-6 months by 18 months under optimum conditions the best fish should reach 10-12cm and be breeding size.

no many fish reach 18cm I think the giant flora from lucktropical would and a few other strains but 18cm bodylength is a BIG discus

(I'm refering to body length which is mouth to base of tail. ie -tail)

Do most people refer to the size of thier discus as body size not including the tail?
When your buying discus from a seller would they refer to body size? For an example ill use a popular seller on this site like marlons?

ILLUSN
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 07:38 AM
it is convention that the size of a discus is measured from the tip of the lips to the base of a tail.

this is the measurment used as a standard for shows.

Klawz
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 08:54 AM
it is convention that the size of a discus is measured from the tip of the lips to the base of a tail.

this is the measurment used as a standard for shows.

It makes you wonder how often it is used when people are selling discus or describing them on forums like this one or others. Would have to confess i would never have even considerd not measuring the tail.

Before reading this did anyone else not know this? Or was it just me :oops:

Ghoti
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 09:12 AM
I thought it would include the tail but I learned to measure fish in a different hobby.

Cheers,
Scott

Klawz
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 09:33 AM
I thought it would include the tail but I learned to measure fish in a different hobby.

Cheers,
Scott

Then again if its the hobby im guessing they make you measure sharks without the tail, and head! Go figure.

Ghoti
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 11:18 AM

Cheers,
Scott

Then again if its the hobby im guessing they make you measure sharks without the tail, and head! Go figure.

And you would be correct 8-)

Nev
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
Fishing a strange hobby, the fish get a lot bigger after they're been caught!

swifto
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 12:30 PM
And even bigger when there's no pics, :lol: