PDA

View Full Version : seachem pond matrix media

nevsfish
Sat Apr 14, 2012, 10:01 PM
hi everyone just wanted to post my findings on using pond matrix in my sump filter.i have a 6 tank system with about 1200 litre volume and added 20 litres of pond matrix to my sump 8 weeks ago.the tanks are heavelly stocked and to my amazement the stuff actually works.i would do a water change of 50 per cent every 2 days and the nitrates would be 20 ppm after adding the matrix to the sump and waiting 8 weeks i cheaked the nitrate this morning after waiting 3 days between water changes and the nitrates are 10 ppm.so as long as i have proper levels of minarals(calcium,etc)i can extened my water changes out by 1 day so the savings in water will be signifacant over a year.

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 14, 2012, 10:24 PM
pond matris is AWESOME been using it for years,

if you add a little normal matrix to "fill the gaps in between its even better.

nevsfish
Sat Apr 14, 2012, 10:32 PM
that is a great idea thanks .i was sceptical about the matrix removing nirates but it works great so i am a happy chappy.

nevsfish
Sat Apr 14, 2012, 10:34 PM
i have 50 litres of hydroton comming does that work just as well as matrix.

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 14, 2012, 11:43 PM
Almost it packs tighter but still has excellent flow. It tends to float ALOT so it's best used in bags with matrix or pond matrix around it to help keep it submerged. For the price it's hard to beat

Robbieb81
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 09:28 PM
Hi,

I use matrix ( not the pond one) in my canister filter at seachem's recommended amount and haven't really seen a change in nitrate levels :(. Should I try the pond matrix and use a lot more of it?

Cheers

ILLUSN
Tue Apr 24, 2012, 01:07 AM
you wont get a nitrate reduction unless you have an anerobic enviroment, in a sump you get a nice high flow of oxygen rich water in the inital stages that becomes depleated as it moves through the filtration bio mass,

once you hit anerobic sections denitrification can occure, in a canister you DO NOT WANT anerobic spots (ie dead spots) canisters just dont work that way.

pond matrix is exactly the same as matrix, just bigger so it does not pack as tightly, denitrite is the same as matrix just smaller so it packs more tightly, tighter packing = less flow(>resistance).

In a preasure filter like a canister matrix will give you a higher surface area, in a sump pond matrix gives better flow and limits the anerobic spots that breed disease.

Robbieb81
Tue Apr 24, 2012, 08:13 AM
Seachem's website says this..... Matrix™ may be placed in any kind of filter, and is particularly effective in a canister filter. The only reason I purchased this was due to seachem saying it helps break down nitrates.

In theory then, If I have a canister filter only filled to the brim with pond matrix would this work?

Many thanks

ILLUSN
Tue Apr 24, 2012, 11:15 AM
YOU CANNOT GET DENITRIFICATION IN AN OXYGENGEN RICH ENVIROMENT! IT IS CHEMCLY IMPOSIBLE!

any filter media will work well in a canister filter, those with a higher surface area will work better, so any sintered glass media (eheim substrate, siporax, jbl micromech) will work excellent, Matrix is pumice, think of it as natural sintered glass it will also work excellent! bioballs and matting with a lower surface area will still work but not as well as high surface area media.

Basicly if you want to drop your nitrates in a tank small enough to use a canister (ie anything smaller then say 600L) do a water change. On bigger tanks/system Sumps are much better and under such conditions it is possible to have small anerobic regions/sections where denitrification can occure. if you have a read here this massive tower filter filled with matrix was an excellent denitrifier http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19904