PDA

View Full Version : peat moss

swifto
Thu Apr 12, 2012, 03:23 AM
Hi all,just would like to no is there a certain type/brand of peat moss u should use,or is one brand better than the other.If anyone has use peat moss which brand worked for u.I no that it must contain no ferts or additives,and is sphagnum moss the same.any advice thanks.

ILLUSN
Thu Apr 12, 2012, 04:12 AM
i use 100% canadian peat moss, pure no fertilizers.

Brian from Finvision might be able to sell you some if your interested

Nev
Thu Apr 12, 2012, 04:33 AM
Got mine from mitre 10.
Cheap as.
Attunga was the brand.

swifto
Thu Apr 12, 2012, 04:54 AM
Thanks Nev,Illusion,I'll give mitre 10 a call,flower power got blended peat moss which is a no go.Illusion do u no some where local that stocks it as live not far from u.

FinVision P/L
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 05:36 AM
We have 24 cubic feet in 6 huge bails of Canadian Peat moss has a PH rating of 5.4 it is the purest available and of the highest quality. We use it our selves and highly recommend it, not because we stock it, it because we needed it and wanted the best and this is what’s left over as we wouldn’t use this much in a million years. I had to import it because it is very hard to get. That’s why I got so much because 10 bails was the minimum order. Jothy picked up some from me and he is very happy with it. It also lasts much longer and maintains its low PH. To answer your question Spag moss is the same as peat moss, Peat moss is grounded Spag. We obviously sell it by the KG in its dry form, so you aren’t paying for water $12.50 for 1kg, $20.00 pr 3 KG. will go a long way in dry form. It is more expensive then you local garden supplies sell their peat for but you have absolutely no guarantee it hasn’t got any other nasties in it , it is common to have traces of lime through some brands this is to help stabilize the PH for planting purposes also some fertilizers are added. Most peat is sold wet. we sell it dry.We will post Pics of bags soon to give you an idea what 3 and 1 kg volume looks like

sunshinediscus
Sun Oct 21, 2012, 10:46 PM
Try Fernland agencies in Nambour for pure canadian peat moss. They are the australian distributors for this brand: http://www.sungro.com/products_displayProduct.php?product_id=27&brand_id=8

It's about $40 for a huge bag.

joller
Mon Oct 22, 2012, 09:29 AM
i got some from bunnings it was rubbish

FinVision P/L
Mon Oct 22, 2012, 09:51 AM
i got some from bunnings it was rubbish

Are you talking about Canadian peat or something else??

joller
Mon Oct 22, 2012, 11:17 AM
sorry i meant just the regular stuff, i tried it and a mate of mine also tried it and it didn't seem to do anything

if you want results i recommend getting the quality stuff

Oygle2
Tue Oct 23, 2012, 07:30 AM
I got some from Bunnings as well, it worked a treat, lowered the pH to 5.4 has been stable like that for ages, months. However, I do use rain water for WCs - water changes. Apparently it's naturally acidic.

joller
Tue Oct 23, 2012, 10:58 AM
i'll have a look at the brand tomorrow and see if its the same as yours, i must have been doing it wrong...

joller
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 11:03 AM
its 'brunnings' brand funnily enough :P

if anyone else here is using it with success i'd love to hear how

ILLUSN
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 11:24 AM
sedge peat WILL NOT WORK you need sphagnum peat, I'm guessing the sucess Oygle2 had is from the naturally soft and acidic rain water thats being used in the tank.

on rain water my tanks moved between 5.8 and 4.8

dvdrew
Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:35 AM
How often should the peat be replaced?

ILLUSN
Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:52 AM
as soon as it depleats, once you loose that nice black water effect its about 1/2way through generally it will only last 1 month to 6 weeks but you only need a small ammount.

dvdrew
Wed Dec 12, 2012, 12:15 PM
I never got that black water effect. If I squeezed the stocking the peat moss was held in, the tannins would come out.