PDA

View Full Version : Yet another substrate question!

Miffy moo
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:05 AM
Ok, I know it's yet another substrate question. Stripped down 5 footer discus tank and replacing up aqua with pool sand, question is, is there a grade of sand that is best. A rubber & pool supplies franchise have one that says unicorn brand filter sand grade 16/30. Has anyone used this? Would it be suitable for my discus tank? What thickness would be best? Thanks in advance. Miffy

boxters
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:16 AM
You need to make sure that any sand you use is inurt

Miffy moo
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks boxers, has anyone got a brand name I can chase?

ILLUSN
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:30 AM
Any silicone pool sand will be fine just don't use zeolite pool sand

Miffy moo
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks again

Miffy moo
Wed Apr 11, 2012, 04:37 AM
Back again, went to the only 3 pool shops in town and they all stock the unicorn brand pool filtercsand, has anyone used this brand and was it satisfactory. Any help greatly appreciated, this turning into a very difficult excersise!

nevsfish
Wed Apr 11, 2012, 04:56 AM
i used the same sand in my wild cuipeua tank .there is a photo in the wild caught discus discusion and it works fine .if you are using a under gravel filter it might be to fine but i am only guessing as i dont use ug filtration.another thing it comes really dirty so it needs to be washed really well before using.

Miffy moo
Wed Apr 11, 2012, 05:22 AM
Thankyou for the prompt reply I feel confident to give it a go now. Would hate to loose my fish. Thanks again