PDA

View Full Version : Water Changes??

jaybuc
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 02:03 AM
I will be ordering my 4 Jack Wattley discus soon. I have a 45G tank and I am new to discus. I have kept very successful reef tanks in the past, so i am very used to keeping good water quality. My question is about water changes. How much water should I expect to change a week for a 45G 4 discus tank? Is there a rule of thumb or is it based on the fish load?

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 02:20 AM
Hi jaybuc and welcome to the forum. Hmmmm discus from "the man" himself. I'm envious.

Water changes are really based on the fish load. Discus, like marines, are very sensitive to ammonia and excess nitrates. Protein skimming won't work in fresh water, so the only way to remove the excess pollution is water changes.

I try to change water daily, but I have mostly bare bottom tanks and tend to be a bit heavy handed on the feeding. I think you really need to aim for changing water at least every second day, and around 30% each time.

The water should be warm, aged and treated for chlorine and chloramine before adding to the tank.

Welcome to the wonderful world of discus. If you have kept a reef tank before, you will be very successful with discus.

kalebjarrod
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 02:21 AM
between 30% and 50% twice a week will do IMHO

jaybuc
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 03:18 AM
Thanks! I called Jack's shop today...they are very nice knowledgable people there. They will ship my fish to my door for only $60...not bad...i don't think. I think i am going with 2 Jack Wattley Red Pandas and 2 Jack Wattley Striated Turquoise. Should like a good choice??

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 03:26 AM
Beautiful choice. Now don't forget to post some pics of those gorgeous fish :P

DR.V
Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:35 AM
I change my tank 30% once a week , but if i got spare time twice a week .

flukes
Thu Mar 31, 2005, 12:49 AM
Love the picture of the red panda on Jacks site, if you got one exactly like that you'd be one happy keeper...