PDA

View Full Version : granulate food

giorid
Mon Apr 02, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hi guys,
Just thought I'd seek some honest opinions on commercially available foods for discus. Personally I really don't think the foods available live up to the expectations of the general aquarist and something much better should be on the market.
My personal experience with the granulates has made me wonder if they are worth using at all since they tend to disintegrate in the water column and produce a fine dust that in turn changes the colour and even the smell of the water, coats the sponge filters and ornaments, settles on the tank's side and bottom where due to the warm water, bacteria quickly grow increasing the risk of disease. This "polluting"of the aquarium needs to be cleaned up by the aquarist therefore requiring more maintenance and time and more stress for the fish.
To conclude, don't you think that the hobby would benefit greatly if the manufactures of these foods took these factors into consideration and created something better after all the fish deserve it.

boxters
Mon Apr 02, 2012, 09:37 AM
I agree and if you look at my website we make our own beef heart mix which is granulated and has a locking agent in it so it does not pollute your water or coat the tank at all